Premed 101 Forums

Disability Insurance for med students?

Besides OMA and CFMS what other companies are offering disability insurance for med students? The bank I used for my LOC turned me down for disability insurance because they said I didn't make the annual income requirement.

short answer is tons. I am there are literally a dozen companies+ that wanted to sell me disability insurance in medical school. This is big business as they sell to you in the hopes you will still use them as a full doctor (docs have huge insurance needs of course and are a profitable sector to see to)

Make sure by the way you get a primer etc if you don't know disability insurance well (you may know it very well and this is pointless advice :) ) You want to make sure the insurance will in a guaranteed fashion continue to met your needs going forward (can you at will increase it? can you for sure renew it? is it indexed for inflation? does it have own occupation riders? etc).

At Western when I was president I collected contact info for all this and worked sponsorship deals with various companies. Likely your med society does the same and would be a point of contact.

short answer is tons. I am there are literally a dozen companies+ that wanted to sell me disability insurance in medical school. This is big business as they sell to you in the hopes you will still use them as a full doctor (docs have huge insurance needs of course and are a profitable sector to see to)

Make sure by the way you get a primer etc if you don't know disability insurance well (you may know it very well and this is pointless advice :) ) You want to make sure the insurance will in a guaranteed fashion continue to met your needs going forward (can you at will increase it? can you for sure renew it? is it indexed for inflation? does it have own occupation riders? etc).

At Western when I was president I collected contact info for all this and worked sponsorship deals with various companies. Likely your med society does the same and would be a point of contact.

Could you give some more detail on sponsorship deals?

Archived