Premed 101 Forums

Chances? Please Help!

So my cGPA is 3.75 (1st year- 3.55, 2nd- 3.75, 3rd- 3.97), MCAT is 10/10/12. I will be writing my MCAT again soon. I have no relation with the north or rural communities but I have worked and done research with a really influential Professor at NOSM and he is writing me a reference. Do I still have any chances?

Thanks guys!

When a person applies they always have a chance. What you are asking about is whether you have a good chance of getting in or not. 

If you were to delve deep into how NOSM admissions is done you will find that 1/3 of the pre-interview score is from context - which is NOSM's way of giving geographical preference, since you would have low to no context score this would greatly reduce your chances of receiving an interview. Many people with low context scores do get interviews however few of those actually gain acceptance.

The strength of your letters of reference are not calculated into your pre-interview score, from my understanding, so it will not improve your chances of gaining an interview.

So looking at your application strengths - GPA (1/3 preinterview score)? average to above average GPA depending on the applicant pool, Context (1/3 preinterview score)? weak, Autobiographical sketch/essays (1/3 pre-interview score)? you haven't done it yet ... So really its pure conjecture. You don't have a strong chance of gaining entry but with your decent GPA, a strong Autobio sketch essay you could get an interview as I have seen many without a strong context score interview ... however gaining admission is another beast. 

Beef

If you have the money you may as well apply, but with a context of 0 (no ties to rural/north) your chances are slim to none.  In addition, NOSM doesn't consider the MCAT.  That you mention your MCAT score and how you are going to rewrite tells me that you haven't done much research into NOSM's admissions policies.  You need to look into NOSM, what they value in their applicants and what is required of an application to see if you will be a good fit.  Then let the chips fall where they may.

Archived