Premed 101 Forums

How Important Is Cgpa?

Thanks for your response uvicpremed.

When you say full academic years do you mean taking enough courses to be considered full time?

Because my third year year was not full courseload. How would this affect my chances?

I did take 3 courses in the summer for 2 years.. would they take into account summer courses?

Taking a full course load during the normal academic year means during September-April. Generally speaking, adcoms want to know that applicants are able to withstand the rigours of study in medical school, which is much tougher than a full course load during the normal academic year. Normally, summer courses are not computed in determining your GPA. If you did not do a full course load and did well academically, how would adcoms be able to judge your potential performance in med school? Not having taken a full course load in 3rd year is not fatal but makes you less competitive compared to other applicants who did well in terms of GPA with a full course load.

I think this applicant is looking into physio and not med school-in which case summer courses are used to determine your GPA :) 

A lot of people finish their degree and then do additional courses during the summer to apply during the next cycle for physio-from what I have heard it is fine 

thanks for your responses MD 2015 and tricolour44.

Yes, I am looking to get into Physio. 

I almost feel like a full 3 years with no summer break shows that i should be able to withstand the rigours of study. Especially taking three courses in the summer.

But i understand what you mean about my third year not being full course load. Darn, now I wish I took that one extra course, hopefully it isn't the deciding factor for me getting rejecting :(

thanks for your responses MD 2015 and tricolour44.

Yes, I am looking to get into Physio. 

I almost feel like a full 3 years with no summer break shows that i should be able to withstand the rigours of study. Especially taking three courses in the summer.

But i understand what you mean about my third year not being full course load. Darn, now I wish I took that one extra course, hopefully it isn't the deciding factor for me getting rejecting :(

Having been through the application process twice and after numerous emails and inquiries, I can tell you that not having a full course load in your third year will not affect your application at all. Atleast in Ontario, Mac, Toronto, and Western only look at your last 20 credits, regardless of when they were taken (summer, during undergrad, after undergrad...). Queen's considers your cumulative GPA as well as your subGPA in their decision process, but is the only one.

Having been through the application process twice and after numerous emails and inquiries, I can tell you that not having a full course load in your third year will not affect your application at all. Atleast in Ontario, Mac, Toronto, and Western only look at your last 20 credits, regardless of when they were taken (summer, during undergrad, after undergrad...). Queen's considers your cumulative GPA as well as your subGPA in their decision process, but is the only one.

Thank you! You have relieved a lot of stress :D

Archived