Premed 101 Forums

Cloning

Guest hulahulahula

Guest hulahulahula

Does anyone want to discuss the topic of cloning, I guess with the new laws (although restrictive) passed in Canada allowing research involving human embryos? I guess, what I'm asking is what are the ethical viewpoints to consider surrounding this hot news topic?

Guest medwant2b

Hi hulahulahula:

Good question. :) Discussing the topic of cloning is not simple because it is hard just figuring out where to start.

The following site ( www.religioustolerance.org/cloning.htm ) I think is a good starting point. It breaks the discussion of cloning into three procedures/questions (1. Embryo cloning? 2. Adult DNA cloning? 3. Therapeutic cloning?). All three of the procedures have ethical concerns, but differ quite substantially when their impact is considered and how they are perceived in our society.

My opinions differ on the three procedures and depend also on a number of factors --(e.g. human vs. animal, research use vs. making a better food).

Take Care, medwant2b

Guest AniyaSG

This may be blatantly obvious to some, but many are unaware that cloning is routine in molecular biology. Cloning and genetically modifying bacteria that is. "Cloning" is not always controversial, it becomes increasingly so when whole animals are concerned especially mammals. As medwant2b pointed out, you need to define what you are disussing if you try to answer the seemingly simple: "Cloning. Good or bad?" question. You'll get completely different answers everytime you slightly change the question... and the purpose of the cloning is as important as the procedure when asking people about their opinions on the topic...

On a related note, anyone else hear about the Raelians trying to clone humans? Now that's an interesting topic for debate :)

Guest UWOMED2005

Excellent point. . . this was a pet peeve of mine during UG. I did my first "cloning" experiment in 2nd year, but it wasn't anything more complex than what goes on in a mud puddle! (except for the fact I was choosing what bit of DNA to expose the bacteria too. . .)

Has anyone doing a molecular biology or associated degree (ie Micro, Biochem, etc.) noticed how overused the term "cloning" has become in molecular biology? ie we cloned this gene into this bacteria. Considering the current public backlash against cloning, I'm just waiting for that to backfire.

Archived