Premed 101 Forums

Mcgill Vs Francophone University And The Type Of Applicant

Hi everyone!

I was wondering if McGill is valuing a particular skill/aptitudes/personality over the other francophone universities.

I am asking this because, as a Mcgill student, I can definitevely say that it has a more "USA vibe" than laval, sherbrooke, udem, etc. For instance, research experience seems to be very valued at McGill, while I haven't heard about research being useful on francophone websites. Also, being an Honours student doesn't give you a "special consideration", except if you are at Mcgill.

Even if it's a ridiculous question to ask since there's not ONE profile that a school is looking at, does someone knows if the anglo university values different things that the franco ones?

Thank you for your help!

Florence

McGill is looking for a well rounded interviewee for the MMI whereas the francophone med schools seek exceptionally academically qualified interviewees for the MEMFI. McGill is the only one of the bunch that considers your volunteering and ECs but they do not consider the difficulty of your undergraduate program.

Francophones schools factor in the difficulty of your program, e.g., a lower GPA in a more difficult program may be worth more than a higher score in an easier program. You may be the top student in your difficult program with a low GPA relative to an easier program. McGill looks at other items such as your CV, your narrative.

Go to Laval's http://www2.ulaval.ca/fileadmin/admission/Guides/Table_des_etalons_-_site_web_public.pdf and, for example, look at criminology on the 1st page or pharmacy on the last page, which will give you examples of programs considered having increased difficulty. Psychology is on page 4 and is considered of lesser difficulty compared to the examples I gave. There is a complete list of various programs. This is the list for Laval only. 

The francophone universities have a complicated formula to work it all out, which is beyond my comprehension.

Francophone universities assign an "indice de force de discipline" to each program. A lot of the specifics are not available publicly. I found this link for ulaval: http://www2.ulaval.ca/fileadmin/admission/Guides/table-etalons-2014-03.pdf, which can help give you an idea on which programs are more difficult (i.e. an "A" in a program with higher indice is worth more than an "A" in a lower one).

Scep

• 1 month later...

Francophone universities assign an "indice de force de discipline" to each program. A lot of the specifics are not available publicly. I found this link for ulaval: http://www2.ulaval.ca/fileadmin/admission/Guides/table-etalons-2014-03.pdf, which can help give you an idea on which programs are more difficult (i.e. an "A" in a program with higher indice is worth more than an "A" in a lower one).

Scep

Do they use this table on a strict basis? Or will they factor in specific programs in different schools? For example, the same "B administration des affaires (B-ADM)" in one university may be a different difficulty in another. Also, different majors leading to the same bachelor present different difficulty levels as well... 

Archived