Premed 101 Forums

Why have an OMSAS GPA if all schools use it differently?

Guest Shakespearean Fool

Guest Shakespearean Fool

What's the point of the OMSAS GPA if most schools use their own GPA calculation methods? Is the OMSAS GPA used initially only as an early screen and the the schools use their own calculation methods? or do they use omsas gradescale throughout the process?

thanks

Guest Elaine I

OMSAS provides a standardized way to compare marks from different universities. Once marks are converted to the standardized OMSAS score, medical schools may then decide which marks/which years are going to be used to calculate GPAs for entrance at their medical school. (For example, McMaster uses all courses ever taken, while Western uses two years worth of grades.)

Elaine

Most schools do use their own calculations for determining GPA but I think they stick with the OMSAS scale ie. your 85 doesn't become a 4.0 when UofT calculates your GPA.

Like Elaine said, it's just a way to compare grades from different universities on a standardized scale.

Madz

• 4 weeks later...
Guest rmore777

ok, is there also a place somewhere that exactly defines how each school computes the GPA after the conversions?

In particular I am taking 6 courses a term, every term, and (I know most schools don't consider them) summer courses as well.

Archived