Premed 101 Forums

Hospitalist

mdfever

from BC prospective: I feel that the hospitalist has become the new ``fashion`` for new FM graduates (like EM was a few yrs ago). Almost half of my graduating class in FM were involved into the local hospital's hospitalist team (FT or PT) immediately after finishing R2.

I think the schedule is like 7d on, 7d off. For the 7d that you are  ''on call'', the schedule is still pretty much regular 8:30-5, you are rarely bothered for the afterhour house calls as you have residents (it's a teaching hospital on the Island) who are 1st respondents. For the code, there's the ICU code team. So all is covered.

The salary was about 135$ per hour 2 yrs ago. I was told that it's increased to 150+ recently.

Hope it helps.

• 2 weeks later...

from BC prospective: I feel that the hospitalist has become the new ``fashion`` for new FM graduates (like EM was a few yrs ago). Almost half of my graduating class in FM were involved into the local hospital's hospitalist team (FT or PT) immediately after finishing R2.

I think the schedule is like 7d on, 7d off. For the 7d that you are  ''on call'', the schedule is still pretty much regular 8:30-5, you are rarely bothered for the afterhour house calls as you have residents (it's a teaching hospital on the Island) who are 1st respondents. For the code, there's the ICU code team. So all is covered.

The salary was about 135$ per hour 2 yrs ago. I was told that it's increased to 150+ recently.

Hope it helps.

Round the clock coverage in most hospitals I have been exposed to.  

• 5 weeks later...

Archived