Premed 101 Forums

OMSAS is currently fully updated.

Guest silverjelly86

Guest silverjelly86

Just a heads-up for any worried applicants out there . . . OMSAS is supposedly fully updated, so if any references still appear as "currently outstanding" and they haven't been sent like, two days ago or something, that means that OMSAS hasn't received them, and you should get them send again. I hope there's not another post like this out there, but I called OMSAS today, as one of my references (sent over a month ago!) still appears as outstanding, and the woman said that it probably "got lost" in Canada post. I don't know why this has to happen to my reference letter for MEDICAL SCHOOL when I've sent quite a bit of mail before and this has never happened. I hope my transcripts were received . . .

Anyways, just to let you know. I guess I should have probably got my ref to send another letter a while ago, but I just figured that OMSAS was backlogged. Anyhoo, I'm rambling and a lot of you probably think this is irrelevant.

Does anyone know if we get another verification letter (other than the initial one they sent once they received your application)?

I don't understand how they "lost" the reference letters in the mail. My ref sent her letter out Sept 29th and a second Oct 19th. As of this morning, OMSAS has not received either one! If they don't get the reference by Friday I'm giving OMSAS another call.

Guest madison2001

I'm in the same boat as a lot of people seem to be. There is no way that Canada Post could be THIS unreliable. I have a feeling that it must be OMSAS that is misplacing our letters.

Anyone know if missing one letter is going to cause any problems with our applications????

To answer your question, silverjelly, if I recall correctly, we will get a letter around mid-December verifying receipt of all documents, including references.

Last year, when I got that letter in December, it said that one of my references was not received. After briefly freaking out, I had my reference re-send the letter and I still ended up getting an interview at Mac (the only place I applied).

On the other hand, I heard from a reliable source that UofT and NOMS need to have everything in by early next week. So, if your references have not yet been received by OMSAS and you've applied to either of these schools, it's probably best to call OMSAS to make sure your application will not be affected.

Good Luck!

Jamira

Guest silverjelly86

Thanks, Jamira

To everyone else, send your letters again if OMSAS has not received them, because if they show up as currently outstanding, they're lost somewhere.

And I agree - OMSAS probably did lose our letters. Otherwise why would this only be a ref-letter problem, and not a general post problem? Aarrgh!

Guest fizzicyst

Canada post lost my PhD diploma so trust me, anything is possible. I mean really, if a big, fat envelope marked DO NOT BEND gets lost, what chance do helpless little reference letters have?? >:

Last year, my OMSAS profile stated everything had been received and then in December I got an email saying that they were missing one of my letters of reference. Whether they had lost it, or it had been accidentally keyed in as received, they couldn't tell me. However, OMSAS did seem to take the blame for it and just asked me to have my referee resend the letter. All was well from there on. So, bottom line is, don't worry too much. They are pretty lenient with getting references in and I think they'll let you know if stuff is still outstanding and you're getting close to the real deadline for things.

Guest pappy mckeys

Hi everyone,

I spoke with OMSAS today, they confirmed that the verification letters go out last week of November. In regards to Canada Post, last year they lost an entire tricycle that my brother had mailed...it was never found.

Pappy

• 2 weeks later...

I'm facing a similar situation. My reference is still currently outstanding, but I got them to call OMSAS and they just said to send it in regular mail,so it must be ok.

Anyone else still with letters outstanding?

Guest silverjelly86

I still have one outstanding, and my reference just sent it in yesterday, when I asked for it last week. Apparently, it was sitting in his office the whole time and he thought I was going to pick it up!

I called OMSAS, and they said that they'll still forward the ref letter onto the med schools, but it's up to the individual med schools what they do with it. The woman told me to call the med schools and ask them what their deadlines are! That didn't sound to good. I'm just crossing my fingers and hoping that Ottawa and McMaster don't have strict cutoffs for ref letters!

. . . it's not fair that OMSAS loses our letters all the time and holds up our applications. What's the $200 they charge us for if they can't even handle our ref letters properly? What a joke.

Guest silverjelly86

I'm going to call McMaster and Ottawa on Monday. I hope it's not depressing news, 'cause I was really counting on these applications. Maybe if I plead my case they'll waive their deadlines . . . if they have one.

I'll kind of afraid that OMSAS has no idea what they are talking about. They told me that reference letters are optional at Toronto...is there any truth to that???????

My prof sent me an email that he called OMSAS on friday and they said not to worry and when he asked if they wanted him to send a fax or express they said it was not required. So I wouldn't be too worried everyone.

A couple letters of mine just missed the deadline.

I had called Western, McMaster and Queen's.

McMaster stated there was no penalty so long as they were in before the end of the month (October).

Western said it was okay to miss the deadline, but didn't state an absolute date.

Queen's did not pick up after several tries.

For Toronto, if you miss the deadline it doesn't invalidate you , it just means that you interview will be in one of the later rounds (maybe like march or april) Good luck to all

Archived