Premed 101 Forums

Transfering To Other Universities To Increase Chances Of Acceptance?

bruhh

I am thankful every day that I am a Manitoba resident. U of M is basically the only Canadian university (that I've noticed) that doesn't place such rigorous expectations on its applicants because they understand that life happens. I've had to take semesters off for my own well being, I had an awful first year, and U of M is so forgiving of that. Looking at the requirements of other universities, I feel like most of them make the assumption that their applicants have the ability to take at least 30 credits per year while still having time to start a nonprofit, befriend Bill Gates, and save the world. That's just not possible for me.

This is not to say that it's necessarily EASY to be accepted (they place a ton of weight on the MCAT and the interview, and if you bomb one or the other, you are unlikely to get accepted). But compared to Ontario's clusterF, it's a much smoother process imo.

A lot of people aren't aware of how great Winnipeg is! You should definitely make the move. Good luck. :)

Thank you :)

Interestinng fact is that Ontario arguably comprises the highest proportion of immigrants, many of which are there for continuing education. For those who immigrated in hopes of persuing medicine, they made a quite detrimental mistake. Probably any other province would have been a surer way of securing their chances of acceptances to med school.

My choices are either moving to Alberta, or Manitoba. I haven't taken the MCAT yet and I don't know my marks for this year yet, so my final decision should be dependant on these 2 factors once they can be considered.

We have two medical schools in Ontario that favour Ontario residents (McMaster and Ottawa). Isn't that more than most provinces?

Yes but even with the IP preference for those schools the competition is still very real, if not even more than other ontario schools. Ottawa averaged a 3.92 GPA last year, and McMaster is receiving 5000+ applicants, increasing every year. compare these stats with other province schools giving IP preference and you'd notice the signifance

Archived