Premed 101 Forums

Getting A Research Position After Graduating?

AIsForApple

Anyone have any experience doing research during a gap year? I just graduated, and this sounds a little nerdy maybe, but I've found myself really missing school, so I wanna get involved in research during my gap year(s). How do I go about getting a research position at my uni now that I'm no longer a student there? I haven't maintained contact with any of my past professors outside of a couple ones that aren't active in research, and I mean I can't exactly just go ask a professor after class... In the past I just found my summer research positions on student research postings, but what do I do in the middle of the school year when no such postings exist?

Any ideas?

Anyone have any experience doing research during a gap year? I just graduated, and this sounds a little nerdy maybe, but I've found myself really missing school, so I wanna get involved in research during my gap year(s). How do I go about getting a research position at my uni now that I'm no longer a student there? I haven't maintained contact with any of my past professors outside of a couple ones that aren't active in research, and I mean I can't exactly just go ask a professor after class... In the past I just found my summer research positions on student research postings, but what do I do in the middle of the school year when no such postings exist?

Any ideas?

You just have to approach PIs in the labs that you are interested in working. Most of the hiring that happens is internal, but also check the hospital websites for research positions. Also ask the profs. you know well to keep an eye out for you and let them know of your interest. You really have to be aggressive with this if you want to find a position...don't just spam a million labs. REally figure out what you want to get involved in and then isolated a few labs in that field that you are interested and chase them down! If they flat out tell you that they don't have anything available, move on to the next one. Most labs would hire in September or August, so you're already late, but I'm sure there must be a position somewhere. 

• 7 months later...

What if you are from a different university?  any suggestions on how to approach asking for a lab position?

There's a student in my lab who's from another university and the way she got in was by simply showing interest. I suppose that was enough for her. And now she goes above and beyond and treats her position like a 9-5 job and often does more hours than necessary. But as a general rule of thumb I'd send a short bio discussing your interest in their research and include your C/V transcripts when applying. 

Archived