Premed 101 Forums

Is It Worth Applying This Late? Really Need Advice

I'll try to make this as short as possible...

Academics: I finished my undergrad at Western (2014) and applied only to Ontario schools last year (rejected). Finished with 3.73 cGPA (3.89 for UofT, 3.8 for US - based on the posted AMCAS conversions) and I have a 32 MCAT (11PS/9VR/12BS). 

I decided to take a year "off" to work and volunteer because I really wasn't feeling a master's after undergrad. I spent 2 months volunteering abroad in the summer, and when I came back around the end of July, I started the OMSAS application again. Around this time I started considering american schools. I had never researched the topic before, so I didn't know about the rolling interviews and all that jazz. I was also experiencing all the self-doubt that comes with med school rejection, so I was pretty hesitant about going to the US - I just didn't feel like I could commit to it yet. Anyway, I focused on OMSAS but slowly did some of the AMCAS app too. Now it's October, and after reading a ton of threads on here (and SDN), I'm feeling like there's just no point of applying this year because of how late I am. 

The big question:

1) I know it's recommended to apply to at LEAST 10 schools, if not 15 or 20. Considering how late it is, should I apply to a just a few schools (<10) with later deadlines (eg. Wayne state - dec 15)? Is it worth the time/effort/money? If I do apply but get rejected, will it look bad when I reapply next year? If not, I will definitely just take a chance and apply. 

2) If I don't apply, I will have to do a master's next year so as not to "waste" another year. I'll obviously try for a 1 year program, but it may have to be 2 years. I wasn't going to rewrite my MCAT because I thought it would be ok for US schools, but I may have to rewrite it because some schools may not accept it in 2 years (I wrote the "easy" one in aug 2013). 

I'm just really at a loss right now. There are quite a few factors to consider, and I just don't know what to do. Since I only started looking into the US pretty recently, I haven't even figured out which schools (if any) I would POSSIBLY have a chance at, especially this late in the game.  

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

Academics: I finished my undergrad at Western (2014) and applied only to Ontario schools last year (rejected). Finished with 3.73 cGPA (3.89 for UofT, 3.8 for US - based on the posted AMCAS conversions) and I have a 32 MCAT (11PS/9VR/12BS). 

I decided to take a year "off" to work and volunteer because I really wasn't feeling a master's after undergrad. I spent 2 months volunteering abroad in the summer, and when I came back around the end of July, I started the OMSAS application again. Around this time I started considering american schools. I had never researched the topic before, so I didn't know about the rolling interviews and all that jazz. I was also experiencing all the self-doubt that comes with med school rejection, so I was pretty hesitant about going to the US - I just didn't feel like I could commit to it yet. Anyway, I focused on OMSAS but slowly did some of the AMCAS app too. Now it's October, and after reading a ton of threads on here (and SDN), I'm feeling like there's just no point of applying this year because of how late I am. 

The big question:

1) I know it's recommended to apply to at LEAST 10 schools, if not 15 or 20. Considering how late it is, should I apply to a just a few schools (<10) with later deadlines (eg. Wayne state - dec 15)? Is it worth the time/effort/money? If I do apply but get rejected, will it look bad when I reapply next year? If not, I will definitely just take a chance and apply. 

2) If I don't apply, I will have to do a master's next year so as not to "waste" another year. I'll obviously try for a 1 year program, but it may have to be 2 years. I wasn't going to rewrite my MCAT because I thought it would be ok for US schools, but I may have to rewrite it because some schools may not accept it in 2 years (I wrote the "easy" one in aug 2013). 

I'm just really at a loss right now. There are quite a few factors to consider, and I just don't know what to do. Since I only started looking into the US pretty recently, I haven't even figured out which schools (if any) I would POSSIBLY have a chance at, especially this late in the game.  

Mate, considering how late it is, it's not worth applying at this point. Unless you have a 3.9+ gpa and 39+ MCAT, it's wayyy too late to apply to US med schools. Even for the mid-tier schools. 

If you want a really good shot at US med. schools for next year, you're going to need around 34+ as an international student for a decent US school. For Canadian ones, you're fine, but it will help you a lot if you can get that VR score up to 11. If you don't think you can do that, it's not worth a re-write. 

You can try to apply just for the satisfaction and you might have a shot at a low-tier US med school, but not much more than that. Sorry mate, I know this is not the news you were hoping for. Also, they really do care in the US about how many times you applied, so re-applying does look bad, so that's another reason not to do it now, considering your chances. 

Just my 2 cents, YES, it's late for AMCAS, Especially your stats are average, what you can do now are:

1. Apply DO schools in USA now, your stats are good for DO schools, if you want to be a Doctor in USA, there's not much difference between DO or MD in USA.

2. Start to prepare AMCAS now, Hospital volunteering, do some lab research, etc.

(Open AMCAS now, don't sumbit, just to know all application procedures, documents and essays,it's free.)

3. Start to write essays for AMCAS and 2nd applications essays for each USA MD schools that is Canadian friendly.

(Read SDN each school to find essays)

4. Next year apply in May/June, submit AMCAS in June and complete 2nd application for each school in June/July,

If you apply to 10 to 20 non-AAU and Canadian friendly med schools in USA, you should have better chance.

The big question:

Very strong chance at USMD schools if you apply next cycle, minimal chances now. You have strong stats so may as well not rush it and keep all your options by going MD.

If you are impatient, you can get into a DO school this cycle, but still a bit late - and the stronger schools already have a lot of apps in. You can get into *some* DO school if you don't mind the less desirable location or more expensive ones.

Its not too late, because there are still many non-rolling schools.

Just apply to select schools to minimize your costs (ie. don't apply to Harvard because they likely have 80% of their interview spots already given)

Actually no, the majority are rolling basis. The ones that tend to be non rolling are mostly top tiers, which isn't the best strategy as an international student to only apply to top tiers etc.

Actually no, the majority are rolling basis. The ones that tend to be non rolling are mostly top tiers, which isn't the best strategy as an international student to only apply to top tiers etc.

Oh really?

You are saying all non-rolling are top tiers? and that's your reasoning for advising this poor premed for not applying this cycle?

I would ask the op to do their own research regarding non-rolling schools.

Key word: mostly.

It is very late in the cycle and absolutely no chance at rolling schools.

For non-rolling, yes do your research. But if they are out of your range or not Canadian friendly, then you will be shooting yourself in the foot by applying and potentially getting rejected this cycle- only to be labelled as a reapplicant for next cycle.

Yes, do your research OP.

Key word: mostly.

It is very late in the cycle and absolutely no chance at rolling schools.

For non-rolling, yes do your research. But if they are out of your range or not Canadian friendly, then you will be shooting yourself in the foot by applying and potentially getting rejected this cycle- only to be labelled as a reapplicant for next cycle.

Yes, do your research OP.

theres not much harm in being labelled as a 'reapplicant'. go on sdn and do your research op.

Actually, yes, yes there is.

I know this from talking to multiple adcoms in the US.

I agree with UBC. There is harm in being a reapplicant in the US.

The few schools that are non-rolling are non-rolling post-interview invite. That means, it won't matter when you decide to interview after you've got an invite, BUT it does matter when you submit your application. The earlier you submit, the better chances of you getting an actual interview. So technically, the non-rolling effect for these schools are only in effect after you get an interview invite. 

As do i, but that's not the point. The majority don't get in and have to work unecessarily harder the next cycle. patience is a virtue and applying early and properly will lead to maybe having multiple options rather than being stuck with one lower on your list or none at all.

medicine is a long career, better to start it off right.

but all we can do is provide insight, rest is up to the OP

What if I were to tell you both that i know people who submitted their secondaries with ops stats and still got in?

YES, please tell us, what is his/her stats? Applied, verified and 2nd application completed date? Most important is which MD school? I will add this school into my AMCAS primary application for this cycle. Thank you very much.

• 3 weeks later...

I knew a person with MCAT 40 applied AMCAS last cycle after completed OMSAS in September.

This person interviewed at two Ontario MD schools last cycle but rejected by ALL AMCAS MD schools before interview.

The reason? I think AMCAS MD schools somehow, more or less, prefer American citizens or residents, and most are rolling.

My advice: apply AMCAS before OMSAS, in June, if not in May.

Check this link https://www.oakland.edu//Default.aspx?id=16523&sid=340&CWFriendlyUrl=true

OUWB - Oakland university MD school is a very new MD school in Michigan one hour outside Detroit,

very Canadian friendly but prefer Michigan residents,

it's a lower tier MD school according its average GPA and MCAT score.

As of Oct. 29, class size 125, anticipated interview is 475 (3.8x class size), interview positions filled is 374,

Interview completed is 179. With thousands applicants already verified by AMCAS, completed primary and secondary application and under review, what's the chance applying now ?

man

things are competitive now

I applied in november in 2010 with 3.6/30 and got in

Can you share the school name that you got in in 2010?

I have much higher stats than 3.6/30 and verified by AMCAS in July, so far only one interview invite and one rejected, 10+ schools still under review. I really can use this school name for this cycle. Thanks in advance.

Archived