Premed 101 Forums

Heart Transplant Surgery Project

Hi all, I'm doing an undergraduate research project on heart transplant surgery and I was just wondering if I could get some guidance on the most important studies and resources in the field of heart transplant surgery. My project is very broad so I'm looking for a broad approach.

I tried searching medline but I was getting way too many results and not really the results I'm looking for. I figured people on this forum would be more versed in this topic than the librarians at my school, so that is why I'm posting here, to essentially ask the experts.

Thanks!

Hi all, I'm doing an undergraduate research project on heart transplant surgery and I was just wondering if I could get some guidance on the most important studies and resources in the field of heart transplant surgery. My project is very broad so I'm looking for a broad approach.

I tried searching medline but I was getting way too many results and not really the results I'm looking for. I figured people on this forum would be more versed in this topic than the librarians at my school, so that is why I'm posting here, to essentially ask the experts.

Thanks!

What aspect of heart transplant surgery are you doing your project on? Immunocompatibility/the actual surgery/thrombosis/nerve problems there are so many things you're asking for here!

If I were you I'd find a review paper on heart transplant outcomes- many studies would probably be interested in complications and you'd be able to find out about a lot of relevant information about the mechanics of the transplant from a review paper. Maybe try google scholar? 

What aspect of heart transplant surgery are you doing your project on? Immunocompatibility/the actual surgery/thrombosis/nerve problems there are so many things you're asking for here!

If I were you I'd find a review paper on heart transplant outcomes- many studies would probably be interested in complications and you'd be able to find out about a lot of relevant information about the mechanics of the transplant from a review paper. Maybe try google scholar?

Hey when I selected my topic I wasn't asked to explain any deeper. The exact topic is heart transplant surgery in North America. I think the project is meant to be broad.

I found a couple good pages on medline plus. It is more what I'm looking for, but I'm still wanting to know the most important studies. For example if it's the first day of a heart transplant fellowship, what would be the required readings? Which studies, which books? What are the most influential studies?

Thanks for the advice, I'll look for that review paper on outcomes. I'll try scholar

30 seconds with the google machine got me this article from JACC, which looks like a decent review article.  Their citations likely contain the landmark papers that it sounds like you're looking for.   (Though it is a bit hard to tell, because as others have pointed out, your question is *very* broad).

http://content.onlinejacc.org/article.aspx?articleid=1139141

As mentioned already, it's a really big subject you're looking to research.  A current review article would be a decent place to start.  If you have access to uptodate that would be good too.

A good textbook is "Cardiac Surgery in the Adult" - Lawrence H. Cohn.  4th ed.  It is current and the basic text that cardiac surgery residents are using.

• 2 weeks later...

hey ok the aim of the project is to review/investigate my topic (heart transplant surgery in north america). the prof described the project task as "telling her why the topic I've selected is important." so basically 1) all of the pertinent information, along with 2) any current hypotheses that explain the distribution of characteristics and 3)any gaps in knowledge about the health condition and 4)I have to critically appraise the data as a whole. these 4 things come from a project description sheet I have for the project.

Archived