Premed 101 Forums

Us-Medical Grad

drake19

Hi....I was wondering if any selection committee member can divulge on the perception of US-medical grads becuaase the match rate for US-medical grads is low (in the 60% range). My understanding is that US-med-grad are in the same stream as Canadians and are "on-par" with them so why the low match rate? Maybe it is due to the individual applicant but it is nowhere close to the Canadian match rate

Just a theory but it could be that American grads who applied to Canada were probably only applying to programs they really wanted to go as if canada gives you an offer you lose all your american offers. So they only applied to a few programs and really weren't aiming to match unless they got their most preferred choice. 

MedStart likely has part of it.  The other side is that Canadian programs are very cautious about residents.  Selection committees like LORs from people they know.  There's definitely a bias to take a known entity over risking an unknown.  Dedicated IMG spots force them to think outside the box to a certain extent (but they still will always take an applicant with more Canadian information over anyone else).  American graduates compete with Canadians; I personally think that puts them at a disadvantage.  

MedStart likely has part of it.  The other side is that Canadian programs are very cautious about residents.  Selection committees like LORs from people they know.  There's definitely a bias to take a known entity over risking an unknown.  Dedicated IMG spots force them to think outside the box to a certain extent (but they still will always take an applicant with more Canadian information over anyone else).  American graduates compete with Canadians; I personally think that puts them at a disadvantage.  

^^ This for sure. Selection committees are unfamiliar with US programs / faculty, so why not choose to rank a Canadian grad instead? It's not impossible for US grads to match in CaRMS but it is risky - any US grad applying to CaRMS should definitely apply to ERAS.

ok...well I was worried after seeing the US stats but nerves have calmed down I've gotten 3 interviews so far (1 for family and 2 for neuro)

here was my plan for the US students who really want to come back to Canada

all 3 of my letters to carms are from Canadian physicians...will complete 20 weeks of Canadian electives by Feb2015...

I did a total of 6 weeks at U of T for family medicine integrated Emergency Medicine in summer of 2014

Will do another 6 weeks at U of T for family medicine starting Jan 2015

Deferred MS-3 neurology rotation to do neurology for 4 weeks with neurologist at U of T fall 2013

Deferred MS-3 Emergency rotation to do E.R. for 4 weeks with E.R. doctor at U of T fall 2013

important for all US students: if you try > 6 weeks at U of T they cancel all your electives....max of 6 weeks in one year....my deferred MS-3 rotations to work at U of T were not official U of T rotations so I never got the official end of rotation evaluation but I was able to get reference letters

-Calgary and U of T are easier to get rotations if US student since they consider all LCME schools (i.e. US and Canadian) as equivalent

-U of T was the fastest to get rotations replied within 1 week.

-Also if you can find a precptor before hands speeds up elective application by alot

How did you defer a rotation for a year? How did you get to do the rotation at U of T unofficially?

Deferred MS-3 neurology rotation to do neurology for 4 weeks with neurologist at U of T fall 2013

Deferred MS-3 Emergency rotation to do E.R. for 4 weeks with E.R. doctor at U of T fall 2013

important for all US students: if you try > 6 weeks at U of T they cancel all your electives....max of 6 weeks in one year....my deferred MS-3 rotations to work at U of T were not official U of T rotations so I never got the official end of rotation evaluation but I was able to get reference letters

How did you defer a rotation for a year? How did you get to do the rotation at U of T unofficially?

You have to negogiate the deferrment with your dean's office...it will show up on your dean's letter as "deferred rotation to MS-4 year"...i basically told them that I'm applying to Canada only, etc. etc. (even though I did end up applying to US as back-up)

to do an "unofficial rotation at U of T" you have to find a preceptor at U of T who is willing to take you and they give you an "observer badge" but basically you do everything the medical student does....also you want to make sure they sign the electives form from your school so it count towards your away-electives during MS-4 year...I had to do a total of 40 weeks of electives from my school so I was able to count 8 weeks of MS-4 electives towards that 40 week requirement

When you do a U of T rotation (official) your preceptor fills out an official U of T report (I'm assuming people interviewing get to see this)

OMG 40 weeks of electives!!! That's so amazing!

Very few Canadians get even half that much elective oppourtunities :(

I think the big difference is that US students start 3rd year in June (June is dedicated to sit for boards) and then rotations start in July.....4th year started for us in mid-June so we have a longer year almost 52 weeks...I remember when I was doing E.R/Family rotation as a 4th year student in June the U of T student I worked with was still not finished his 3rd year rotations

Archived