Premed 101 Forums

Worth It To Submit Secondaries This Late In The Game?

Selstaar

Hi everyone,

So, I've applied to a little over 20 schools in the U.S. during this cycle. And, despite applying incredibly late in the cycle (application verified Sept. 16), I've been very lucky to receive responses from 6 schools so far, most of which have been invites to interview. I'm also making applications to Canadian schools at the same time.

At this point in time, the two secondaries I have let to complete are, ironically, both from schools that prescreen applicants. They're both programs that I would love to attend in places I'd like to live in. The reason for the delay in completing their secondaries is the number of essays they require I write: about 8 for each of them with character maximums in between 1000 and 3500. Given that these schools both employ rolling admissions processes, I'm wondering if it makes sense to complete these essays. Should I instead, be focusing on practising for interviews and working on other things to make myself more marketable to the schools that are already interested in me.

Your thoughts are greatly appreciated.

If you got interviews to other schools despite the late application means you have pretty good stats. So go for it!

What Canadian schools are you applying to at this time of the year? I thought most of the med school application deadlines had passed, unless you are talking about grad school. Correct me if I'm wrong :)

Just my 2 cents. Answer these questions to yourself:

1. Which is your first choice? OMSAS or AMCAS? For me AMCAS is my backup plan, OMSAS is my first choice.

2. Compare to the 6 AMCAS schools that mostly already give you interview invitation, are these two schools better choice?

3. What's the chance to get interview invitation from other 15 or so schools that you applied in the USA? How many Canadian schools you applied? 

4. Do you have other backup plan? Western Canada ? Eastern Canada? Dentistry? PharmD? Graduated schools?

5. Do you have time and money to travel for interview? Look like you will have 10 or more interviews in Canada and USA this cycle.

If you got interviews to other schools despite the late application means you have pretty good stats. So go for it!

What Canadian schools are you applying to at this time of the year? I thought most of the med school application deadlines had passed, unless you are talking about grad school. Correct me if I'm wrong :)

Sorry about the confusion. OMSAS is done and in and I'm waiting to hear back like everyone else. No more Canadian apps in progress thankfully.

You may be right. I feel more like it's the writing that's helping more than anything though. Despite being late to the game with apps, I spent quite a bit of time of the 'extended' versions of my essays. So far the schools that got to see them have responded positively which is why I'm a little more willing to throw in my hat despite it being this late.

Thanks for your help!!

P.S. Congrats on your invite to Dal. Good luck :D

Archived