Premed 101 Forums

Failing Licensing Exam...

I've personally met doctors who have failed their licensing tests in non-surgical specialties more than once. I'm not even a doctor so I only know a handful of doctors!

Also, it's not like this is information that you share with the world at large! One person told me after she had had a few drinks. Another was a "family member" (married to a relative but turned out to be a cheating jerk so I don't really consider him family anymore!).

Clearly I have no advice on how to study, but I am just saying it seems like having trouble passing is pretty common. There might be some stats on it for you to look up. I imagine that you are super upset, but I am sure you are not alone!

Thanks Fetch!

I think the touch part is trying to recollect myself. Can you guys share about what motivates you guys when you fail and how to approach failure?

This last year, I have been diagnosed with two chronic diseases. I have been having a hard time finding motivation to keep going...

It sounds like you are having a tough year!

If I were you, I would be careful who I confide in about it. Some people can be jerks and you don't need that. Hopefully you have a friend or two in the same program who will be kind to you about it and give you some support.

You should be proud of yourself and what you have accomplished so far. If you apply yourself, I am sure that you will pass! I have a lot of admiration for anyone in a surgical specialty. I understand how people can work hard towards a goal, but to work hard towards the goal of cutting people open and sewing them back together? It's really something else. Don't be so hard on yourself. If you are on this path you clearly have a lot to be proud of :).

I just found out that I failed the  LMCC part 2 by one question!

I am pretty devastated about this, my stomach has been hurting all day... Is it common to fail? I feel like I should rethink my medical knowledge. What happens if I fail on the 2nd try? How should I be studying for this?

The LMCC part 2 is a difficult exam in the sense that they can ask you almost anything and the stress of an OSCE can cause people to fail even if they're well prepared.

I have known several people who failed certification/board exams. They were all devastated, but in time that feeling will pass... then all you can do is be well prepared and ace it the second time around.

Don't rethink your medical knowledge, especially if you only failed by a few points. The best way to study for OSCE style exams is to practice different situations. Get yourself an OSCE prep book and use it as a guide to build practice scenarios. Those books will also help you with the tricks to score the "gimme" points in each station which you may have missed out on.

Don't sweat it. Good luck.

Maybe you didn't have enough time to study?

It's just one question... don't be too hard on yourself!

Study harder and you'll be fine redoing the exam in the spring!

Good luck!!!

particularly since you were so close after all. There isn't a lot of knowledge you are missing likely - did you feel that you were just missing all kinds of stuff during the test? Sometimes it is just presentation etc.

I think part of it might be that I had a bad luck of the draw and another part was me just not feeling well...

I noticed the examiner wasn't paying attention and trying to get caught up with organizing and erasing the previous marking sheets. I wonder if I should bring that up with the LMCC...

I think part of it might be that I had a bad luck of the draw and another part was me just not feeling well...

I noticed the examiner wasn't paying attention and trying to get caught up with organizing and erasing the previous marking sheets. I wonder if I should bring that up with the LMCC...

the examiner? the singular is confusing me :) I had a different one for each station.

They won't do much for a single question I think regardless.

Could be bad luck with the type of questions and also just having an off day as you say. Passing it a second time when you are so close already shouldn't be hard - the really annoying part is the loss of time/money.

Archived