Premed 101 Forums

Western Anesthesia

jO-M

To whomever posted UWO Anes....are you from Western? Has anyone OOP gotten an invite yet? (as Western is one of the annoying programs that doesn't send regrets)

According to last year, Western was one of the schools on the tour that interviewed most/all applicants, and I already got an invitiation from a school which I'm pretty sure is competitive....somewhat confused/potentialy disappointed

Thoughts?

Hey, I haven't heard back from Western yet either so I'm with you in solidarity.  Sorry to hijack, but I haven't heard from Queen's or UBC either and it seems like invites are out for those and both of their CaRMS sites state that they let all applicants know.  Does it seem like invites are going in batches this year?  Or invites come early and regrets come later?  Hang in there!

I got a reject from Queen's this am so not sure what to tell you....

The thread also said Manitoba is out, but I haven't heard anything good or bad from them....

Fingers crossed that these emails are actually being sent by hand, meaning there might still be hope....

It sounds like UBC sent all their 42 interviews already.  They said they notify all applicants though, so perhaps they have an interview waitlist before sending the regrets.

Don't know anyone who has heard from Manitoba yet, but in previous years they've been selective, usually offering most local applicants + top OOP candidates.

Looks like Queen's sent a BCC to a bunch of applicants at 1600 EST today.  So does not seem to be rolling.

Seems like UWO is out for in province for sure, dunno about OOP.  These came out yesterday afternoon.

In the past it was just an informal conversation with one faculty member over 30-40 minutes. They had some specific questions about your background, but otherwise keep it fairly casual and friendly. 

Thanks a million for that :)  I was wondering whether they asked any clinical knowledge based questions. 40 minutes with one person seems pretty intense, mind sharing what type of questions asked?

• 2 weeks later...

No clinical questions, it was really just a "get-to-know-you" thing. So the usual stuff about talking about your background, what you did before medicine, why anesthesia, etc. 

That's really helpful thank you :)  Hope you had a good holiday! Any tips for the interview? :)  I wonder how strongly they consider the interview when ranking applicants. 

Archived