Premed 101 Forums

Canadian Doctors In The Military-Thoughts?

rb23

The Canadian Forces came to my medical school about a month ago informing our class about the possibility of being a doctor in the military. The more I read up on it, the more interesting it seems to me. I was just curious if anyone has any experience with this matter. Why do so few medical students and family residents pursue it? Is it because of the moving around? 

Also, I wonder if it is easy (or not) to leave the military after your service is no longer mandatory and work as a family doctor if you want to. What I mean to say is, does your time as a military doctor make it difficult to transition back into regular family practice?

I don't think you make any more money as a military physician, chances are you'll be deployed at some point, and the time commitment isn't for everyone (neither is the military). Plus all the actual military training can be tough and take a while.

(My experience: 8 years in the military reserves and I have a few friends who went the military physician route.)

Archived