Premed 101 Forums

Level Of Detail Needed For Biology Memorization

tavenan

Hello,

I've been trying to get some studying in for the MCAT, and something that I've really struggled with has been the level of detail that I should memorize for a specific topic. I'm asking this from people who have written the MCAT before, how specific are the questions on the MCAT? I've read a lot of people say that the MCAT  biology section is becoming more and more like the verbal section, which leads me to believe that a lot of the stuff I'm memorizing is just unnecessary. What kind of topics should I be just trying to learn instead of memorizing specifics about them? For example, did knowing specific proteins like dynein or kinesin and what they're associated with ever help you answer a question? 

Please clarify this if you have written the MCAT or know someone who has

Thank you

I have written the mcats and hopefully you are talking about the old one, cause that's the one i have experience with. There are i want to say 12 free standing questions on BS, which can be fairly specific (requiring memorization). However, you have to consider that majority of the bio section is like "verbal" by which i mean application and analysis of the passage provided. Those questions are not specific at all from what i remember. Furthermore, you have to consider that there are organic chemistry freestanding questions as well. So my advice would be to mostly focus on the analysis and critical thinking aspect of the test and not worry so much about the details. Go over everything but do not feel like not knowing dynesin would make or break you. If you have more time, then by all means memorize everything-it cannot hurt. But, if time is short then worry about the test taking strategy and doing practice test rather than memorizing. I do not think anyone ever feels like they know everything before the mcats. I hope that helps. 

I agree with the previous reply. I found that the standalone questions require answering from memory, especially orgo. But the level of detail of BS is usually limited to fundamental basics like molecular/electron geometry, acyl derivative reactivity trend etc. as opposed to things like the exact molecular differences between the different nucleotides.

My advice is don't waste your time trying to memorize every detail while studying. If there are times you're reading some review material, feel burdened by the detail and think "there's no way they expect me to memorize this" you're probably right. Try studying very roughly and write your first practice BS test and it will give you a better picture and you'll know if you spent too much time memorizing needlessly or if you didn't study some areas enough.

• 2 weeks later...

From researching these threads I found that a lot of people recommend Exam Krackers books and I purchased a used copy of them. They tell you EXACTLY what level of detail to memorize, it's pretty hilarious actually. Tips like "when you see nitrogen, think protein!" make me laugh. However, a lot of people on here swear by them, so apparently it's accurate.

I ended up only writing the verbal section because I only had a couple of months between deciding to take the MCAT and actually writing it. I have a biology degree but I graduated 10 years ago and found that I would need more than 2 months to re-learn all of the material.

I would search these threads re: Exam Krackers to see for yourself what people have said about those books who have actually taken the entire MCAT. Also, you can buy practice tests online directly from the AAMC, which is the best way to see what it's like. You definitely need to know things though, it's not like the verbal that way.

From researching these threads I found that a lot of people recommend Exam Krackers books and I purchased a used copy of them. They tell you EXACTLY what level of detail to memorize, it's pretty hilarious actually. Tips like "when you see nitrogen, think protein!" make me laugh. However, a lot of people on here swear by them, so apparently it's accurate.

I ended up only writing the verbal section because I only had a couple of months between deciding to take the MCAT and actually writing it. I have a biology degree but I graduated 10 years ago and found that I would need more than 2 months to re-learn all of the material.

I would search these threads re: Exam Krackers to see for yourself what people have said about those books who have actually taken the entire MCAT. Also, you can buy practice tests online directly from the AAMC, which is the best way to see what it's like. You definitely need to know things though, it's not like the verbal that way.

Did you find it helpful? does it actually contain useful insight or just obvious things? Do you reccommend I buy it? I bought the 2015 Kaplan books and they're extremely detailed (too detailed maybe), something like what you described could help me

Something to keep in mind is that the MCAT tests your knowledge very differently from most university exams. Memorization isn't what you should be focusing on because the questions are made with the intention of testing other skills (like problem solving). The level of detail that you need to memorize isn't that much, but the breadth of subjects is what makes it difficult. 

Something to keep in mind is that the MCAT tests your knowledge very differently from most university exams. Memorization isn't what you should be focusing on because the questions are made with the intention of testing other skills (like problem solving). The level of detail that you need to memorize isn't that much, but the breadth of subjects is what makes it difficult. 

That's something i picked up from doing some of the practice tests too

Did you find it helpful? does it actually contain useful insight or just obvious things? Do you reccommend I buy it? I bought the 2015 Kaplan books and they're extremely detailed (too detailed maybe), something like what you described could help me

Like I said I didn't end up writing the substantive parts for other reasons, but if I had, it would have been very helpful. From researching these forums, there seems to be a consensus that the advice regarding what to focus on is legit. Assuming that is true, it can cut down on memorization big time. For example, when I was in high school and undergrad, I needed to be able to recognize and name the different amino acids. According to EK, you only need to recognize that a given molecule is an amino acid. Pretty big time difference I would say!

Take this with a huge grain of salt given where I say my knowledge comes from. But I think EK is the key to your answer. Research it more to confirm what I am saying is true and then probably grab those books. Also, this is all for the old MCAT. You're going to have to figure out what the changes are!

Archived