Premed 101 Forums

Taking Maternity Leave As Pgy1

GradApp2011

Hi,

Can anyone confirm how many hours you must work as a PGY1 before you are eligible for EI benefits for maternity leave? I've read its 600 hours. Also if anyone has any advice on which rotations to try and schedule immediately before and immediately after maternity leave (of 1 year duration) please post. Thanks!

Hi,

Can anyone confirm how many hours you must work as a PGY1 before you are eligible for EI benefits for maternity leave? I've read its 600 hours. Also if anyone has any advice on which rotations to try and schedule immediately before and immediately after maternity leave (of 1 year duration) please post. Thanks!

It says so here:

http://www.myparo.ca/Pregnancy_FAQ

which outlines at least the Ontario contract.

Also probably what program you are applying to would be useful with respect to the rotations etc :)

Just a heads-up that EI is difficult to qualify for. They will deny your coverage if you give them any excuse to do so whatsoever. If I were you, I would go on their website and learn the requirements inside and out.

Assuming that you're not pregnant already, leave as much buffer-time as you can in case you are sick and need to take time off (pregnancy related illness or otherwise). Try to plan everything so that you get that 600 hours no matter what!

Archived