Premed 101 Forums

Has Anyone Else Heard Absolutely Nothing?

mpap

Hi all,

I'm an international student currently participating in CaRMS. I applied only to Dalhousie and select Ontario programs and only to family medicine. I previously completed an elective in Canada and was guaranteed an interview by the preceptor, who also wrote me a recommendation letter and outright told me that he wanted me at his program. I was selective because I had already received a dozen interview offers in the U.S. and being international was never particularly confident in my chances in matching back in Canada. 

So, now I'm feeling very confused. Not because I haven't received any interview offers after receiving such strong indications I would (I always expected this to be a possibility). But because I've heard absolutely nothing. No invitations, no rejections, no anything. I have received zero contact from any programs. And I have multiple cohorts who have received plenty of both.

I've logged into my CaRMS account and double, triple, quadruple checked all of my information; I did in fact submit my apps, I have submitted the required documents, my contact information is correct (i've received survey invitations from CaRMS which seems to confirm that). And I've even gone in more depth to ensure that yes my personal statement is under 500 words, no there are no destructive typos, etc. 

Can anyone shed some light on this for me?

i would e-mail the program director that specifically told you this - was this statement made in passing/casually or a cold hard promise? I'm sure PDs deal with 100s-1000s of students every year and my understanding is most of the initial screening is via residents so perhaps the residents were not aware of this promise.

I am not an international student but I rotated at a US hospital with tons of carribean medical students and did hear them mention of the NAC OSCE filter of 80 this year. for some Ontario schools..maybe if you got NAC OSCE < 80 your application never even made it for primary review, etc....my 2 cents anyways

Archived