Premed 101 Forums

Queen's Pt Experiences

• 4 months later...

Hey, 

I just got accepted and maybe im not the best person to respond to this because I took a different approach (at least I think i did). I applied to physio, chiro and grad school after an undergrand in KIN. I got into Masters and chiro but not PT. So went to do a masters in motor control. After my masters I applied again and didnt get in so I went on to a PHD. My Phd is in stroke rehab using video-gaming. I figured I would apply one last time and I got an interview at McGill (still waiting to hear back) and accepted to Queens. 

My Sub GPA: 3.72 and CumGPA : 3.7 (does not include my grad courses)

Shadow

-I shadowed a sports physio that worked with Toronto Dragons rugby

-Toronto rush worked with a chiro (provided athletic taping)

- Private clinic worked with a chiro and PT

Volunteer

- Soccer coach for special olympics

-Mentoring first year undergrads

Work/Placement

- Chiro clinic for three years 

- Hospital placement at a outpatient clinic

- Strength and conditioning for a soccer club (mainly injury prevention)

- Research assistant (exercise for cancer survivors)

-TA for anatomy 

Hey,

I was accepted to Queen's. Here's my experience:

Education

- Bachelor of Music - Education (GPA not stellar)

- Upgrading - Anatomy, Physiology, Biomechanics, Sports Injuries, Stats courses, etc. etc. (worked my ass off for a stellar GPA in these courses)

Work experience

- Canadian Forces 6 years

- Personal Trainer 1 year

- PTA at private practice physio clinic 2 years

Shadow

- In patient neuro-trauma unit PT

- AT at a university

- Private practice treatments

I spent a lot of time writing my personal submission for Queen's. My sGPA was 3.7 (for ORPAS schools). I was also accepted to U of A (in province). 

I was accepted at Queen's, UofT and McMaster. I think I have a less experience (when compared to above- you guys above are SUPER impressive, congrats on Queens!!!!), but I am also a Queen's grad (they say it doesn't matter.... I'm unconvinced to be honest as I've seen people with WAY more PT related shadowing get rejected) 

150 hours at a Private PT practice volunteering and shadowing 

35 hours out of a 75 hour placement volunteering in an acute care hospital (cardiac, MSK and neuro)

500+ hours in aquatic rehab 

SubGPA 3.82, Cumulative GPA 3.7

I think what also made me stand out (besides my shadowing) is my well rounded application. Varsity athlete, various leadership positions over the years, emergency first responder on my campus, lots of extracurriculars. Queen's wants PT experience, well rounded authentic students (so make sure you are doing activities that you enjoy and not just to pad the resume). Also ensure you can write about you experiences using key buzzwords from the PT occupation (check Essential Competencies for PT's in Canada as well as OPA/CPA websites). Talking about your experiences and how they can authentically relate to your future studies/career is key :)

Hey there, 

I was accepted for Queen's and Western for PT; I agree with the above post, I think Queen's looks for well rounded students.  I actually had very little direct PT experience. 

- apprx. 100 hours volunteering/shadowing in a PT clinic

- coaching a U-13 rep soccer team, strength and conditioning coaching for all the teams in the club (not sure how many hours... hundreds though)

- volunteering for a health and psychology study in a lab (apprx. 50 hours)

- dual-sport varsity athlete for 4 years, volunteer on the team as manager for my 5th year

- personal training/event staff part time jobs throughout undergrad

So yeah, not a lot of PT experience, but I was very busy. My sGPA was 3.85 and I am not a Queen's grad... my references were excellent; one from a PT, one from a prof I did research with and one from my varsity coach.

I was also accepted to Queen's for PT, and graduated from a different university for my undergrad.

It seems as though they like varsity athletes, I also played on a team for all 4 years of my undergrad!

I've been working at a multidisciplinary rehab clinic as a PTA/admin assistant for about 2 years now, did some volunteering with a cancer rehab program in university, volunteering with physios in a hospital now, coached at my high school a number of years, volunteered at a homeless shelter, and help out with some events at my church.

So I have a decent amount of physio-related experience, but also lots of non-physio experience/volunteer work.

sGPA 3.77, cGPA 3.56

I'd agree with the above posters that Queen's seems to look for well-rounded individuals.

A lot of it is also how you present yourself, as you only have your personal statements to wow them as opposed to other schools with interviews, where your personality can really shine. My writing skills are pretty bad, but I had a lot of help and spent a lot of time editing my statement! I actually applied last year and didn't get in, and the lady I spoke to told me it was my personal statement that prevented me from really being considered. Definitely take your time on them!

• 2 weeks later...

Hey,

I was accepted to Queen's. Here's my experience:

Education

- Bachelor of Music - Education (GPA not stellar)

- Upgrading - Anatomy, Physiology, Biomechanics, Sports Injuries, Stats courses, etc. etc. (worked my ass off for a stellar GPA in these courses)

Work experience

- Canadian Forces 6 years

- Personal Trainer 1 year

- PTA at private practice physio clinic 2 years

Shadow

- In patient neuro-trauma unit PT

- AT at a university

- Private practice treatments

I spent a lot of time writing my personal submission for Queen's. My sGPA was 3.7 (for ORPAS schools). I was also accepted to U of A (in province). 

Hi! Just wondering whether you ended up choosing Queens or U of A? (I'm on the Queen's waitlist)

Hey there, 

I was accepted for Queen's and Western for PT; I agree with the above post, I think Queen's looks for well rounded students.  I actually had very little direct PT experience. 

- apprx. 100 hours volunteering/shadowing in a PT clinic

- coaching a U-13 rep soccer team, strength and conditioning coaching for all the teams in the club (not sure how many hours... hundreds though)

- volunteering for a health and psychology study in a lab (apprx. 50 hours)

- dual-sport varsity athlete for 4 years, volunteer on the team as manager for my 5th year

- personal training/event staff part time jobs throughout undergrad

So yeah, not a lot of PT experience, but I was very busy. My sGPA was 3.85 and I am not a Queen's grad... my references were excellent; one from a PT, one from a prof I did research with and one from my varsity coach.

Also wondering whether you went with Queens or Western? :)

Also wondering whether you went with Queens or Western? :)

It was a very tough decision for me, but in the end I chose Queen's.  This is because I did my undergrad at Western, and although I LOVED my experience here, I think change is a good thing! :) Good luck!

• 2 months later...

Hey there!

I was accepted to Queens PT this year, here are my experiences:

PT-related:

- approx 150 hours total, this included volunteering in 3 different clinics (ortho, neuro and pediatrics)

- it is probably helpful to demonstrate that you have been exposed to the wide range of physio specialties

Non-PT related:

- involvement in a number of extracurricular activities, such as being a member of the student association for my program, the Relay For Life committee, assisting with orientation week, etc.

I think they just look for students with a wide variety of interests! The best tip I have when writing your personal statements is to really focus on something unique about yourself when explaining why you would like to become a physical therapist. Best of luck with your applications this year! :)

Archived