Premed 101 Forums

Usmle Weight In Carms Application

As a CMG who just did the carms interview tour and met a few IMGs and USMGs, I think I can answer that question.

The USMLE has ZERO weight. They don't ask for it.

If you are born in Canada you will be considered as a CMG and they only need your academic records, clerkship evaluations and references. Make sure to do some electives in Canada in orthopedic surgery in the schools that interest you (ie the ones which have an IMG spot)

If you are not born in Canada, you will be considered an IMG and will need to pass the MCCEE, where the score can be very important depending on the program. Some just ask for a passing grade, others will place a lot of importance on your score.

There were only 5 spots for IMG this year: U of Ottawa, Northern Ontario school of medicine, U of Toronto (2 spots) and Western University.

You can check the requirements for each university on the following link under the IMG section for each of those schools for the ortho speciality: https://phx.e-carms.ca/phoenix-web/pd/main?mitid=1241

Hope that helps!

As a CMG who just did the carms interview tour and met a few IMGs and USMGs, I think I can answer that question.

The USMLE has ZERO weight. They don't ask for it.

If you are born in Canada you will be considered as a CMG and they only need your academic records, clerkship evaluations and references. Make sure to do some electives in Canada in orthopedic surgery in the schools that interest you (ie the ones which have an IMG spot)

If you are not born in Canada, you will be considered an IMG and will need to pass the MCCEE, where the score can be very important depending on the program. Some just ask for a passing grade, others will place a lot of importance on your score.

There were only 5 spots for IMG this year: U of Ottawa, Northern Ontario school of medicine, U of Toronto (2 spots) and Western University.

You can check the requirements for each university on the following link under the IMG section for each of those schools for the ortho speciality: https://phx.e-carms.ca/phoenix-web/pd/main?mitid=1241

Hope that helps!

Thanks for answering my question. I was born in the good US of A but have dual citizenship. As a US-medical grad, USMLE scores are on all our dean's letters and it says "240s on second attempt", I also put this on my carms application (under where it asks for USMLE-scores) in the interest of transparency. So it is shown on both carms application and dean's letter that I did indeed fail the step 1 the first time.

I hope you are right and that they will just gloss over the detail that I passed step 1 on "second attempt" I didn't ask this question during my interviews as it would point out a fatal flaw in my application.

And yes I did complete 8 weeks at U of Toronto and saw plenty of "snapping necks and cashing cheques"

This person is a USMG which is equivalent to a CMG for spot availability. I think getting ortho in Canada would be very doable these days for USMGs.

This person is a USMG which is equivalent to a CMG for spot availability. I think getting ortho in Canada would be very doable these days for USMGs.

Thanks for this encouraging statement. I got a great evaluation from the U of T ortho chair and doctors I worked with at U of T and several Canadian reference letter (hopefully they were good)...I never pointed out to anyone that I failed Step 1 except on this forum...hopefully as the other poster indicated it carries no weight

But as i stated earlier for all US-grads' dean's letters they all indicate your Step 1 score and for me it does indicate I passed Step 1 on second attempt - but this does NOT count as a failure of a course (in our section for failures, gaps, cheating etc. - all say "no")

Our school's carms match rate is 100% since they started keeping track of carms (though only a handful apply for carms and we are a top 5 school in the U.S.) so hopefully this is all good news...I can only hope till March

I got a great evaluation from the U of T ortho chair and doctors I worked with at U of T and several Canadian reference letter...we are a top 5 school in the U.S...

Sounds like you've got a lot going for you.  I wouldn't worry about it because:

1) there's nothing you can do about it at this point anyway and

2) it probably doesn't matter much or at all.  They're much more likely to be interested in the usual ortho things: hard working, easy to get along with, how much you can bench press, good reference letters from people they know etc.

Are you in the US match as well?  Just double check the match dates for both, because if you match in the earliest one you'll be pulled from the later one.   I forget which one runs first.  (I'm guessing you already knew that - posted it as a reminder for anybody who stumbles upon this thread in the future)

Archived