Premed 101 Forums

Current U Of C Students Who've Used Mmi Prep Courses...thoughts?

To current U of C students (or anyone accepted at U of C) who've used MMI prep courses,

Aside from the value of practicing general interview skills, did you find that they provided any insight into U of C's MMI itself?
Did it give you any advice that you really found invaluable (i.e. things to make sure to mention, ways to address certain issues, less-than-obvious considerations specific to MMIs, etc?)

Personally, I'm concerned that if I used a MMI prep course I might end up sounding contrived or formulaic.

I worry that the evaluators might pick up on that (esp. since U of C admissions seems to lean a bit on the "anti-prep course" side (at least on ground of equality).

Thoughts?

See that's the thing. I honestly feel that it's a bit exploitative and kind of defeats the purpose.

I'm pretty confident that I will do well on the MMI as I have done public speaking too for years now.

At the same time I know like 5-6 people who are using them and I was wondering about PM101's take.
I also know some 3 U of C students who used MMI prep courses although I'm sure they would've been accepted anyways.

ah well, the point is kinda moot; I don't really have the money anyways. Just wanted to see how much of a disadvantage I was gonna be at without it :P

Makes me wonder if the school can tell which people use them...

Yeah, I think about this too. But I also wonder if I have my tinfoil hat on.

I think that they can tell, but I'm not sure that they would punish applicants for it. Dr. Walker said to go ahead and use them if you have the spare money.

What he is really against is people getting an advantage because they can afford it when others can't. What this tells me is that there is SOME value in prep courses.

Sigh...I'll just have to do without anyways

The type of communication skills they are looking for cannot be learned in 8-hours of a $300 prep course.

They are assessing the interpersonal skills that you have learned through the many years-worth of experiences that you put down on your application, which got you this interview in the first place.  Instead I look at it as the past 8 years has been my 'prep course'.  Just my $0.02.

Yeah, I think about this too. But I also wonder if I have my tinfoil hat on.

I think that they can tell, but I'm not sure that they would punish applicants for it. Dr. Walker said to go ahead and use them if you have the spare money.

What he is really against is people getting an advantage because they can afford it when others can't. What this tells me is that there is SOME value in prep courses.

That might be part of it, but I think it's mostly that he thinks it's exploitive for someone to charge money to desperate people for advice that likely won't help much...

Archived