Premed 101 Forums

Obsessive?

Guest shelleyrn

Guest shelleyrn

How many medapps are hitting this site at least 4 times a day(at least)?! Am I the only one!

I am addicted! There are so many pearls here....thanks to the moderators who are doing such an amazing job.

Ian...do you ever sleep?? 0600 posts?....oy vay

Guest Ian Wong

All my CaRMS stuff is in now, so our class is essentially cruising along. The fact that most of our assignments are due online doesn't help any either; starting last week, the pattern has been that I type out some stuff on our assignments, then check the forums, then go back to more school stuff, then back on the forums...

What can I say, other than that I need to get out golfing more. :)

Ian

UBC, Med 4

Guest macdaddyeh

Hi Shelley. My wife says I'm obsessed, and I concur entirely. I'm glad to see other people admitting their obsessive-compulsive behaviour.

There was a long period there where I checked this site intermittently during the week. Now I check MANY times per day.

I guess it is just the waiting jitters that the pre-invite (or pre-rejection) period causes. It's like we're all in solidarity over being aspiring physicians so we can't help but obsess.

This is nothin. Just wait until we (hopefully) get our interviews and even finish interviewing and we'll be even more insane.:rollin

Guest Chieka101

I say it's waiting jitters. I keep checking hoping I can find some sort of assurance that Western will give me an interview (I barely made the cut-offs). :P

It's amazing how "a little break" to check the internet can consume so much time... :)

C.

Guest UWOMED2005

Hope this helps Chieka - for Western, "barely" making the cutoffs is still making the cutoffs. I can't guarantee you an interview, but I'd be HIGHLY surprised if you weren't offered one.

Congrats on the UConn acceptance, BTW.

Oh, and I've checked the board 5 times today. But I've been studying all day in front of a computer, so it's been easy to log in every few hours.

Guest TimmyMax

Hey,

One great part about the whole quest is when you start off on the interview circuit and start actually meeting each other in person! It's funny to get the chance to meet the actual people behind the various names and posts- sometimes your perception of someone gained through reading their posts over the previous few months is completely the opposite of what that person is really like in real life! It's even better when you end up in the same class with some of the people that you've met and kept correspondance with over the course of the admissions cycle via forums such as these.

I do know that at the UWO interview weekends, you will have ample opportunity to meet up with Aneliz, JSS02, hmsdread, monkey, UWOMED2005 (probably), mying (maybe), Bagels and myself live and in the flesh! So if you do see any of us mods at UWO (or any other mods at any other schools for that matter), be sure to mention EZBoard and you will earn instant brownie points (or an earful about any global issue relevant or not if you come across UWOMED2005)! Here's hoping to meet many of you in the not-too-distant future! :)

Best of luck!

Timmy

I'm pathetic, it's been at least five times today for me too. :( It's all this studying, I tell you. I don't study in front of the computer because if I did you can bet I'd be checking every single BBS and so on on the planet every ten seconds.

Edit: Hey sweet, this is my hundredth post. Do I get cake?

Guest UWOMED2005

What you talking about Timmymax? You're just as bad as that Bush guy with his anti-treehugger stance on destruction of the Alaskan wilderness. . . doh, point taken!

Guest shelleyrn

a-HA! You ARE lurking out there, my fellow OCDers.....good luck to all!

Can't say Winnipeg is conducive to much golfing in February, Ian, but the cross-country skiing is pretty darn fun! I have family in Vancouver, and they rib me at every chance they get about this time of year, "Oh, we've just come back from having a 'round'o'golf..." arrrgh...

Guest Orangelifesaver

so glad to know that i'm not the only gal hitting this site any chance i get! - kinda makes me feel normal;)

i guess it's that little bit of hope that you'll learn something new or will come across some breaking news that'll make you

relax during the premed times!

one can always hope.....

Guest MayFlower1

You guys ARE pathetic! ;)

Shouldn't you be learning how to cure cancer or something? :lol Geeze, it will be really comforting to hear..."I'm sorry Mr. Hill, I can't help you with this one...I believe I was on Ian's boards when that lecture occurred! :eek

Seriously, it's nice to see you guys squirming a bit...kinda reminds me of what I've been going through the last two years! :lol

Noticing that it's 5:00am (I usually get up at about 4:30am these days :eek ) I guess I've got about the right blend of mania and OCD to keep me hooked as well.

Hey, if any of you are down the Ottawa way for interviews please give me a shout...I'd love to meet you and go for some munchies and drinks somewhere. I'll in London this summer for a friends wedding...if anyone will be around I'd love to link up as well...

Good luck on your matching people. If any of you have inteviews in Ottawa for Family medicine please email me at peterhill16@hotmail.com as I'd love to know who you're interviewing with. It's very possible you'll be interviewing with my wife's business partner...he takes on 2 family medicine residents each year. Let me tell you, you'd be really lucky to get linked up with him...not only is he an amazing physician, however, he also lectures on the business side of medicine for the CMA...very knowledgeable on how to run an efficent and profitable practice. On top of all, he's really cool...easy to get along with...and an incredible waterskiier.

Peter

Guest Namgalsip

Good to know I'm not alone. Who needs a screen saver when I have this forum as a beautiful background.

Nams

p.s. This is my 6th time here today (in a 4 hour period)

Yup, I've also checked this site several times today. Nice to know I'm not the only one who's going insane. Applying (and hopefully going) to med school is just such a life changing event, so it's hard to not think about it. In fact, I'd be interested to hear if any of you have started having anxiety or other interesting med school dreams.

I had one dream in which I realized about 10 minutes before the interview started that I was wearing short cut-off jean shorts with my nice business blouse. A typical anxiety dream. And in another, I was working at a street health clinic, and two IV-drug users in cardiac arrest came in and I had to learn how to use the defibrillator on them. I don't even watch ER, so why I would be thinking about IV-drug users and defibrillators is beyond me. Funny eh??

Cheers,

T

Guest stargirl

I have a recurring dream that just as I am about to start med school, I find out that I never finished my undergrad ...for various reasons, depending on the dream...forgetting I was registered in a course and thus not writing the final...getting an incomplete because I forgot to hand in a formal lab report...crazy stuff! Last week I dreamt that I was trapped at work because of a massive snow storm and had to deliver my coworker's baby...I think the mind just works overtime during stressful periods...either that or I am going crazy and hopefully THAT is not the case just yet! :P

Guest Tanya24

Hi Stargirl/tirisa,

My recurring dream involves me standing in the waiting area (awaiting an interview) and suddenly realizing that I haven't prepared for it. I reach the threshold of the door and panic floods me, "Eeek! What ARE my strengths and weaknesses??!!" Strangely enough, ever since receiving my interview invite from Ottawa, I have not had a dream since.

I've only been here once today, but that is very unusual. Now that I'm home from work, this is the first place I came and you can bet I'll be back and forth all night. Even more, I have been looking forward to checking this board all weekend to see if anyone else got interview invites with their Monday mail!! Yes, we are obsessed. We wacky premeds seek each other out for support. :) Have a good day, everyone. Tanya.

Guest Nightrider

This forum has been a lifesaver for me...knowing that there are other people out there just as stressed as I am has been a huge help. It's also great to get the "insider" info about invites and cut-offs and such. A HUGE thanks to all the moderators and other forum members!

I am here multiple times a day...I'm addicted!

I admit it. I'm obsessed too. I hardly ever post things here but I do read a lot. I've been comforted over the years knowing we're surviving these emotional upheavals together (Peter, stargirl!). (Last year, I actually drank champagne - the good stuff - with my wife when we got my interview invite, thinking "that's finally it - I'm in!" Think again wiseguy.:rolleyes )

My first application to med school was three degrees and seven years ago, before they had online applications and the "COMA program" was still just a 'coming attraction'. Back then you had to try to put your one copy of each form just perfectly into your dot-matrix printer to keep the words within the space provided hoping that your extra effort would impress one of those ever-so-scrutinizing-admissions people. (Does any one else out there remember that? Is that pathetic?).

I haven't applied in all the years between then and now but last year I had my first interviews (UofO and UofT) so I'm getting there. In hind site, I really had little business wasting cash on that first round of applications - at the time I was in second year biochem with a B+ average and what I thought were pretty decent extracurriculars - the adcoms went through that application like poop through a goose.)

Now I'm a College Professor teaching anatomy and physiology and biochemistry to Chemical Technology Students, wanting desperately to go back to school to finally do the thing I've wanted to do for as long as I can remember (and I can almost taste it), but lately I've begun to wonder if two months of summer-time academic-leave spent yearly with my little girl (and her many siblings to follow:D ) up at the lake, for the rest of my career, can make up for the lifetime of wondering what could have been.?! That's a tough one. Anyone have any thoughts on that?

I haven't heard anything yet this year - but my "proof of research productivity" has gone in to UofO and UofT, and I'm waiting on Mac as well.

Here's hoping for good news for all.

Cheers and happy surfing.

Matt

P.S. I like to hear what you people think. I'm going to go post another thread

Hey Matt,

As a first-time applier, it's precisely people like you and Peter and Kirsteen, etc. (oh, and the moderators, of course) that have made me realize how special this dream is that we're chasing. Even if we have to try, try and try yet again, the dream may still be within our reach. And how many other professions out there have people fighting tooth and nail to better themselves year after year in order to attain their dream profession, and then to dedicate their lives to it?? It's pretty amazing, actually.

As for the tough decisions, however, on choosing medicine or choosing to have a life-time of guaranteed summers off with your daughter (and siblings-to-be), well, it sounds like you already are predicting that you would forever be wondering the "what-ifs" if you did not give medicine a go, assuming you get in this time (fingers are crossed for ya;) ). And I'm sure you've read the many threads where people have said that it's more important to be in a profession that you love than one that pays the big bucks or (in your case) has the great vacation plan, since vacation time may be less important when your kids are older. Finally, someone else with kids mentioned that she truly believes that she will be a better role model for her kids because she is following her dreams. Anyway, I wish you (and the rest of the readers) the best of luck.

Oh, thanks for the champagne idea... I, for one, will certainly be popping a bottle of the bubbly (not the expensive stuff though) if I get an interview, 'cause it's still a great accomplishment.

Cheers,

T

Archived