Premed 101 Forums

any nurses out there looking to get in medschool

Guest murse

Hi All,

Just curious if there are any nurses out there trying to get in to medschool. Just curious what your experience is like. I would appreciate any experience you can share. Thank you. I think there were posts similar to this earlier but could not longer find them :(

Guest Ian Wong

Moved out of the Toronto forum into the General Premed forum... :)

There's a few previous messages about nursing and medicine in this forum, both on this page and a few pages back; definitely worth taking a look at. If there's a question you have specifically, it will be easier for people to address it versus just asking to describe experiences.

Ian

UBC, Med 4

Guest shelleyrn

Hey murse!

I am a Mac applicant who happens to be a nurse. Not too mention very anxiously awaiting the thin/thick envelope!

If I may ask, where have you applied? Did you bite the bullet and take your pre-req's and MCAT? If I do not get accepted this year, I may begin the dreaded org.chem/biochem courses (ugh).

If you would like to chat, you can e-me @ shelleyrn@shaw.ca

Cheers! Shelley

Hi,

I am actually going to start my nursing program. I realized that i needed to do my undergrad again to boost my GPA so I decided to do what I would like the most as an undergrad ... nursing! I was just wondering if this is the right path. What is your opinion on this Sil? Shelley? Any one?

oops,

I hit the reply button too soon. I already have all the pre-req as I was a Chemical Engineer undergrad. The only thing I am missing is 1 more credit of life science which should be fullfilled during my nursing program

Hey Murse:

I think doing a second undergrad in nursing is a great idea, that is what I did :P Also, it gives you some hands on experience, you get to practice some clinical skills, dealing with patients, etc.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Cloudancing

where are the previous posts about nursing I would like to read them too. 8o I was looking into that b4 I began my 1st year I may still do it since I am not enjoying what I am studying this year. :(

Guest Cloudancing

thank you very much for the link. so it is possible! see I thought it was a bad plan because when I was in OAC, I went to a university fair and I asked about making the jump from nursing to medicine and the nurse in the booth got REALLY angry with me. Saying that if I didn't want to do it then why bother. And I never said I didnt' want to become a nurse --but she was so angry with me:( In hind sight I see that I could have asked @ the medicine booth but still...but that soured me on nursing for a while.:x

From that, I learned that you have to be careful who you tell your plans to.

yes, I know what you are saying. I think nursing is as good as any other undergrad to get you into med plus you can get an actually decent paying job when you are done (in case you change your mind about meds lor simply fall in love with nursing, as some of my classmates have)

I think all health scince careers have their turf war :P with medicine. A few of my classmates that were in Physical Therapy also had to deal with the how dare you switch out of this great field. On second though so did some of my classmates that were completing their masters or had finished their PhDs.

I think than when you truly love what you do (as do most nursing teachers) it is just probably hard to understand why another person, who has been involved in your field, would not love that as much as you do. We'll see how I react when somebody tells me that they are leaving mediciene for something else. There is a law student at the University of Ottawa who practiced surgery for a few years and then decided to make the switch, well I've heard it all, the little bum >: ;)

Archived