Premed 101 Forums

HELP PLEASE: international volunteer

Guest MACOMERE

Guest MACOMERE

Hi everyone!

I am very interested in being an international volunteer this summer. I would like to go short term to a developing country and volunteer in a health related field.

Can anyone recommend anagency that they (or their friends) have used please?

Guest Biochem10

I don't know any agencies, but I was browsing the Travel Cuts website the other day and came across some volunteer positions. The positions are in South America and Nepal and they last for around 2 weeks to a month. What sparked my interest was a teaching position in Guetemala because it's a home stay (I don't really want to be sleeping in a hut in the wild). My friend went to Costa Rica with Youth Challenge International (I'm sure you can find them on the web) and she loved it, although be prepared for full days of hard work and sleeping in wilderness conditions. Hope this helps a bit. The cost for these programs is pretty high, you're supposed to fundraise the money, but in my friend's case she ended up coming up with the $4000 on her own.

Guest cassica

Macomere, I went to South Africa this summer with Operation Crossroads Africa. We spent two months there working on a situational analysis of a community (pertaining to the effects of HIV/AIDS) and also worked with a traditional healer in the townships. You also get a week to travel as a group after your work is done. I would recommend this, although it is quite expensive. Scholarhips are available if you do alot of community work. This was definitely a life-changing experience, as cheesy as it sounds... Just look up Operation Crossroads Africa on google and I am sure you can find their website.

Guest not rex morgan

Check out http://www.idealist.org for a comprehensive list of international volunteer opportunities. There are programs that will cost you an arm and a leg, and there are some more reasonable ones. This web site has thousands listed and may be a good resource for you.

Guest MACOMERE

Thank you all for your most helpful posting -

I will check out every single lead!

My research is indicating that this is going to be a costly venture -

Nams - I did apply to YCI to go to Guyana this summer.

You indicated that you participated in fundraising to get the money - Can I send you a private message to learn more about how you did this? and also to find out more about how YCI does things?

MACOMERE

Archived