Premed 101 Forums

Funny

Guest peachy

Guest MayFlower1

peachy,

ooops, I guess I have been somewhat naive...I didn't realize this was a spoof article...

ha ha...joke's on me... :o

Peter

Guest peachy

Peter - you realize that the article was written as a joke, and that the kid and situation aren't real, right? :)

Although the article exaggerates the situation strongly, it's funny to me particularly because it is indeed an exaggeration of a real-life situation. I know people like this. They do things for resume-building, like start clubs that have no use and that die off as soon as they are accepted to medical school. And they do get accepted. I don't think that medical schools are at all good at screening out people who are doing things to put them on their resumes, based on my personal experience. Hopefully I am wrong, though.

Personally, I have no problem with high schools forcing kids to do a few hours of volunteering. Here in Ontario, at least, they're required to do a very small number of hours (fifteen, maybe?) and I think that for at least some high schoolers this will be the kickstart that they need to turn them onto a life of volunteering.

When I was in Grade 9 I enrolled in the Duke of Edinburgh award program, for which I had to do volunteering. It was the first time that I volunteered anywhere, and since that time I have always been volunteering. I never finished the award program, but that doesn't matter -- it turned me on to a lifetime of volunteering, for which I am grateful. I think that the high school requirement has the potential to do the same for many kids.

Archived