Premed 101 Forums

risking your own life

Guest ikaj

Guest ikaj

hey,

As a physician you may have to risk your own life to save another's. We got a very good example of this with the recent SARS case.

Why are you willing to risk your life to save another?

Are there any situations where you think you may not take such a risk?

Guest ubcgal

Although medicine is defineately not the most dangerous profession, I sometimes question my own future dreams of becoming a physician for that very reason. I want to work in the developing word as a physician (preferably Africa) and so far I've endangered my life quite a few times volunteering and backpacking through parts of asia and africa. I'm leaving for Africa again to volunteer in a week and although I'm extremely excited, there's always that part of you that fears you'll never see home again. But I turn this fear around to tell myself, if something horrible were to happen, this is exactly what I wanted to do with my life and I haven't wasted it; this is the price necessary to be who I want to be

(oh gosh, this is getting corny).

When wouldn't I risk my life? I joke that I suffer from "invinsible young person syndrome" but I always do a cost-benefit sort of analysis...e.g if I really had no or minimal hope of helping my future patients (emotionally as well as physically) I wouldn't risk it.

Guest everyoneloveschem

hey ubcgal, out of curiousity, where are you going in Africa? Who are volunteering with? Where have you been?

Archived