Premed 101 Forums

Goal: 3 years in undergrad and applying for med

Guest krnboy

Guest krnboy

What are my chances if I apply for med in my 3rd year in university?

Obviously I won't have as much experience as people who are applying after +4 years.

I'll try to volunteer/work as much as possible and do many extra curricular activities in the next 3 years.

btw, do med school only look at year 1 & 2 of my undergrad when I apply during my 3rd year?

Guest peachy

Yes, they only look at your grades from completed years, ie from 1st and 2nd year if you apply in third year. Sometimes students are admitted contingent on getting a certain GPA on their third year courses, though. Lots of students get in from third year.

Guest grandmellon

It is definitely a possibility to get in after three years! Just make sure you take the right pre-req's by the end of third year! I've heard that some people want to get their degree first before they go into med. so they sometimes defer for a year. I have applied in my third year and got interviewed.

Guest Biochem10

Krnboy, my advice is not to even think about this now, do your first two years of undergrad, enjoy your time in university and see whether it's appropriate for you to apply in third year. Plenty of people get in after third year, but not everyone wants to apply after only 2 years of university. Personally, I felt the need to finish my bachelor's degree and some schools require that you finish it. Once you are in university you'll be able to make a more informed decision about what your chances are of getting in after 3 years.

Guest krnboy

oh ok thanks :)

I'll take your advice into careful consideration.

I really don't feel that it's neccessary for me to have a degree if I can get into medicine and get MD later. I'd rather take the fastest route in my path to become a doctor.

Guest hmsdread

Hey krnboy,

At one point in time (probably when I was starting out in university, just like you), I also thought doing 4 years and completing a bachelor's degree was pointless if I was just planning to end up in medicine anyway. I just want to let you know that when I look back at my university experience, I wouldn't give up my final fourth year for anything. I applied after third year, didn't interview anywhere, and was pretty disappointed. I went back for a fourth year and learned more in that year than the previous three combined. It was a tremendous year for me both in terms of knowledge and "maturity" (used loosely :) ). Frankly, I don't think I was anywhere near ready to get in after third year and I'm glad things played out the way they did for me. I came into med school this year ready for the material, the life, and with a great background in the basic sciences that was really honed in my last year.

You could be totally different come your third year, and if so, great. I just want you to be open to the idea that doing a fourth year is not a bad thing, or you have to get to medical school as fast as possible. Sticking around for a fourth year can be good in a number of ways.

Good luck,

hmsdreaad

Archived