Premed 101 Forums

advice on GPA

Guest lsmed

Guest lsmed

Hi,

I just finished 2nd year and i am really worried about my GPA. My 1st year was really bad, my GPA was 3.2. Second year, I got all A-'s and 1 B+. Do I still have a chance for med? Is is still worthwhile for me to apply this upcoming october? Please give me some advice. I am in a lot of extra-curricular activities: volunteering, president of a club, research, governing councils etc..

Thanks so much!

Guest Citan Med

Well, I still have a long way to go (starting my undergraduate gegree next year), so I'm not exactly the best person to help you.

However, I know that some medical schools use the GPA of your two best year (University of Calgary).

The GPA of your second year seems pretty good, so don't give up! :)

Good luck!

Jean-François (Citan) Dumoulin

Guest Lactic Folly

If your ECs are taking up too much time, you may want to consider cutting back. You can always add them back once your grades go up.

Guest UWOMED2005

That's a 3.62 GPA. . . not too shabby at all. If you can get that for your last two years, you'll meet the Queen's GPA (I can't remember their stance on 3rd year students unfortunately). And the cutoff for UWO was 3.60 my application year (but it was 3.7 this year.)

I'd probably apply if I were you. . . to Mac, UWO and Queen's. What's the worst that can happen, you get some experience dealing with OMSAS for 4th year? You might very well even get a chance at an interview somewhere.

Oh yeah - but that would mean writing the MCAT this August. You'd have to get on that quick.

Guest lsmed

UWO2005

I am writing my MCAT this year, in August. I was just wondering if you can tell me what kind of references are good to be giving to med? I have one from a doctor(MD) who is my supervisor for research. He knows me for two years. I have another from a doctor (MD) who knows me on a personal level for four years. She knows my character and can vouch for me as a person to become a doctor, I do rounds with her. Where should I get my third reference from? Since Western doesn't look at references, what do they look at exactly?

Thanks.

Guest UWOMED2005

UWO looks at your interview. That's the key. To get the interview, you just need a year of GPA over the cutoffs and MCATs above the cutoff. Your 3.62 GPA might not make it for next year, but it very well might and it would be a shame to have you injured kicking yourself when the GPA cutoffs are announced next February and you realize you would have made the cutoffs. I think it's worth the $75 to apply if you're applying anyways to Mac and Queen's, which based on what you've told me I think you should (though it does somewhat depend on the Queen's policy concerning 3rd year apps.) I wouldn't expect to get in in third year if I were you, but you do have a shot so I'd suggest it's worth it.

For the third referee, I'd go for someone non-medical or academic as you seem to have those bases covered. Do you have a family friend who'd fit? Or an athletic coach? Or anything? But I'm not sure it matters. . .

Good Luck.

Archived