Premed 101 Forums

Mcat-2015

itop90

Hello. I am looking to take the new MCAT in August and I am highly confused regarding which prep books to buy. I am looking to purchase examkracker book set only but would this be insufficient? could anyone please enlighten me on types of resources that are out there?

thank you.

I got Kaplan complete pack because I enrolled in their course. I have examkrackers from old MCAT.

Examkrackers might be alright. Its hard to tell as not many people have tested it. If you feel you can get additional books for comparison. Its not that big of an investment if you plan to sell them after you're done.

Apparently EK has changed their books the most to fit the new MCAT, but not practice tests. So I got the package, as well as the Princeton review Soc and Pysch book for the 3 tests, plus TPR tends to go a bit more in depth and so good to have it for the new material. Going to get the AAMC 230 Q package eventually.

I have the new Examkrackers books, and they are very good, minus a few confusing errors. I really like how they have reframed a lot of the topics - there is a lot more general discussion, to put things in perspective. However, as a grad student and someone who hasn't taken intro science courses in quite a while, I find the review of the physical sciences to be not enough for me. I use the Khan videos all the time, as well as old Princeton Hyperlearning Review and Practice Books. I am also luck enough to have gotten my hands on The Berkeley Review, so I feel like I have all the materials I need... just not enough time! (Writing in June). I also bought the new Princeton Psych and Soc book to get access to the three tests.

Good to hear, mind telling us the errors, so that we can fix them from the get go? You seem pretty prepared in terms of material, wish you the best of luck :). August for me, got to finish studying for exams first, albeit I am currently reading the soc/psych TPR book concurrently :P.

Good to hear, mind telling us the errors, so that we can fix them from the get go? You seem pretty prepared in terms of material, wish you the best of luck :). August for me, got to finish studying for exams first, albeit I am currently reading the soc/psych TPR book concurrently :P.

All of the errors are listed on the Examkrackers website in their forum. There are honestly too many to list. From referring to periods of the periodic table when they mean groups, to putting the answers to the 30-minute exams where the answers to the lecture questions should be (which was super confusing), it's best that you just look on their website to see what they meant to say/do!

Thanks for the well wishes... so insanely nervous about this test. Wouldn't be re-doing it if Calgary and Edmonton weren't requiring the new MCAT. 

Archived