Premed 101 Forums

Free Mcat Prep Vs Paid Mcat Prep?

Sn1Sn2E1E2

I just bought some kaplan books second hand and a princeton review book and studied from those plus bought 3 actual AAMC practice tests and I ended up with an 11/12/12 (PS/VR/BS), but YMMV. I guess it depends on your comfort level with self-study. The books alone have all the content you need to prepare, but can you be accountable to teach yourself/relearn the material and study it? Courses help keep you on track with your studying, basically so if that's worth 2K to you and you have the money then I say go for it.

I just bought some kaplan books second hand and a princeton review book and studied from those plus bought 3 actual AAMC practice tests and I ended up with an 11/12/12 (PS/VR/BS), but YMMV. I guess it depends on your comfort level with self-study. The books alone have all the content you need to prepare, but can you be accountable to teach yourself/relearn the material and study it? Courses help keep you on track with your studying, basically so if that's worth 2K to you and you have the money then I say go for it.

I completely agree, I have come to realize that it depends on your personality. Taking classes for some people might not be that beneficial if you can manage to study on your own. 

I agree with this. I don't want to spend money on a paid course, but I wish this free prep course came with a calendar or something to keep me on track.

I agree with this. I don't want to spend money on a paid course, but I wish this free prep course came with a calendar or something to keep me on track.

Have you seen the 3 month MCAT prep schedule written by Sn2ed on student doctor network? Check it out, it might help you. http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/breaking-down-the-mcat-a-3-month-mcat-study-schedule.623898/

Edit: Just to add, while I think the thread has good information, don't let it freak you out. I didn't follow that schedule, but it's a start and some people swear by it. I also took the MCAT in September and worked full time all summer while studying which they don't reccommend (they reccommend 3 fulltime months where MCAT studying is your job, but who can afford that as a student??). So, just know yourself and what you can handle. I didn't study as intensely as this guide, but I also tend to do well on verbal sections (took the GRE twice before) and I am in biochemistry so the biology section I studied for very little. Mostly just had to do gen chem and phys review. Anyway, good luck!

Archived