Premed 101 Forums

Do I Have Any Chances? (Do Or Med)

I am a molecular biology student attending a university in BC. resident of BC and Alberta

First year: 4 courses/semester: ~2.79 GPA (was a dumbass)

second year: 4 courses/semester: ~3.58 gpa

Third year: 4 courses/semester: ~3.96 gpa

Fourth year: 4 courses/semester: 3.55 gpa (3.85 in one semester and absolutely ruined the other semester, this was the semester that ruined my chances at Canada)

Fifth year: 6 courses/semester: ~3.90 gpa

overall: 3.55 GPA :(

Science GPA: not sure which courses are included

Worst year dropped: 3.75 gpa

MCAT:

9VR/12BIO/10PHYS

9VR/11BIO/10PHYS

I plan to move to the US regardless of Canadian or US acceptance or International acceptance to practice as a Family Physician.

EC: 2 years of big brother, NSERC summer research w/o publication, Conversation partner for 4 ESL students for a year, Summer camp volunteering, volunteered at a physiotherapy clinic for 200 hours, some tutoring, some travelling etc.

I'm planning on volunteering for 30hours a week this year If i do not get in, I may do some volunteering in a third world country to help out.

I pray everyday I don't have to go outside of North America for medical school. I had great chances before luck turned against me in that one semester, not sure what happened because I studied very hard.

I think you have a chance at DO and maybe low tier MD as well. 

I know you do have a good chance in Ireland and Australia though. 

To be fair its not the end of the world for you, with your stats FM in USA is definitely achievable no matter where you go for med school. 

Chances at USDO, but the doubtful for any low tier MD, the numbers just aren't there. If you have money to burn may as well for that small chance.

You won't need to leave NA though. Also keep trying UBC as well, changes every year

at UBC my GPA is roughly 84.97%

if sGPA is just first year chemistry, physics and biology then half of these were taken during my first year so you can imagine what my sGPA might be.

It seems like every door to med school in NA is being closed off:

In Alberta my gpa is only 3.75 because they don't count A+ as 4.33 and I have many. My only realistic chance is waiting till im 25 and applying to UofC as a mature student. 

In The US not only do they not count A+s but they also count my first year

sGPA is probably awful on top of that

the only place in North america where i might have a realistic shot seems to be UBC

there are more to US med applications than numbers. Your GPA isn't low (less than 3.3) but it still is on the low side of matriculant gpa which ranges anywhere from 3.3-4.0 where 3.6-3.7 is the median (depending on the school). Would you rewrite the MCAT to score higher, or take an extra year to boost your cGPA/sGPA to the 3.6+ range?

there are more to US med applications than numbers. Your GPA isn't low (less than 3.3) but it still is on the low side of matriculant gpa which ranges anywhere from 3.3-4.0 where 3.6-3.7 is the median (depending on the school). Would you rewrite the MCAT to score higher, or take an extra year to boost your cGPA/sGPA to the 3.6+ range?

I would rewrite the mcat but I have 136 credits already, another year isn't worth the money to boost my gpa by just a bit. I think volunteering full time would do me more good. 

the 30, I spent 2 months studying for, the 31 I spent a week just reviewing a year later. But since the MCAT has been revised ill have to spend a good few months studying this time around which I'm fine with. 

Are international students in the same application pool as US med students or are they competing with eachother? 

Would international schools like in the Carribean be a good option for me since I only want to become a family physician?

if sGPA is just first year chemistry, physics and biology then half of these were taken during my first year so you can imagine what my sGPA might be.

In Alberta my gpa is only 3.75 because they don't count A+ as 4.33 and I have many. My only realistic chance is waiting till im 25 and applying to UofC as a mature student. 

the only place in North america where i might have a realistic shot seems to be UBC

sGPA is not just first year science courses, it is all science classes. Check AMCAS and AACOMAS for specifics.

Your GPA for UBC is pretty good, work on your ECs and maybe you will maybe get an interview in the future!

US schools also look at upward trend, and you seem to be doing well. The MCAT though is a bit low for MD schools, its okay for DO schools - and you should get at least 1-2 interviews if your non-academics are in check.

Also, your title has a typo "DO or med" I'm assuming you meant "DO or MD" as DO schools are medical schools.

Retaking the MCAT is definitely a wise choice for USMD schools - but you really have to make a big jump and improve.

I'll let you do some research for your other questions and find the answers yourself, as they are available on the forums.

sGPA is not just first year science courses, it is all science classes. Check AMCAS and AACOMAS for specifics.

Your GPA for UBC is pretty good, work on your ECs and maybe you will maybe get an interview in the future!

US schools also look at upward trend, and you seem to be doing well. The MCAT though is a bit low for MD schools, its okay for DO schools - and you should get at least 1-2 interviews if your non-academics are in check.

Also, your title has a typo "DO or med" I'm assuming you meant "DO or MD" as DO schools are medical schools.

Retaking the MCAT is definitely a wise choice for USMD schools - but you really have to make a big jump and improve.

I'll let you do some research for your other questions and find the answers yourself, as they are available on the forums.

AMCAS says these science courses are Biology, Chemistry, Physics, and Math. Well for me these are the first year electives, with some exceptions. Does this include Biochemistry courses, organic chemistry, physiology?etc

Edit: nvm, i quick search answered this question here https://www.aamc.org/students/download/181694/data/amcas_course_classification_guide.pdf

this is great news, my sGPA is probably 3.70+ 

would this significantly increase my chances for the US?

AMCAS says these science courses are Biology, Chemistry, Physics, and Math. Well for me these are the first year electives, with some exceptions. Does this include Biochemistry courses, organic chemistry, physiology?etc

Edit: nvm, i quick search answered this question here https://www.aamc.org/students/download/181694/data/amcas_course_classification_guide.pdf

this is great news, my sGPA is probably 3.70+ 

would this significantly increase my chances for the US?

Yes, all of those other science courses are included in your s GPA.

Not really, your MCAT is still low for MD. By all means apply, but don't get your hopes up unless you really put a lot of effort into your secondaries and put yourself out there. I would apply to USDO broadly, and i think you should get at least an interview or two  if the rest of your app is strong.

The 9VR holds you back from OOP schools in Canada right? You mentioned alberta and specifically UofC, but don't they require 11VR?  Unless i'm missing something and you are also an Alberta resident?

Yes, all of those other science courses are included in your s GPA.

Not really, your MCAT is still low for MD. By all means apply, but don't get your hopes up unless you really put a lot of effort into your secondaries and put yourself out there. I would apply to USDO broadly, and i think you should get at least an interview or two  if the rest of your app is strong.

The 9VR holds you back from OOP schools in Canada right? You mentioned alberta and specifically UofC, but don't they require 11VR?  Unless i'm missing something and you are also an Alberta resident?

I am also a Alberta citizen

I am also a Alberta citizen

Win. 

Shouldn't you stand an similar chance then in Alberta compared to UBC as well?  Seems like UofC also places alot of emphasis on non-academics too right, so probably your best course of action moving forward is focusing on improving your non-academics and then retaking the mcat and keep applying to UBC, UofC, and UofA. 

Win. 

Shouldn't you stand an similar chance then in Alberta compared to UBC as well?  Seems like UofC also places alot of emphasis on non-academics too right, so probably your best course of action moving forward is focusing on improving your non-academics and then retaking the mcat and keep applying to UBC, UofC, and UofA. 

I think a ~84.97% has a better chance than a 3.75 in Alberta. Remember that people who get into UofC with 3.7s are mature students, 25 and over and that the average age of a first year student is 25.

I am going to be volunteering this year for as many hours as possible (Live with parents, just volunteer for 30-40 hours a week if i can, in addition to sports and other EC) but I feel like that's not enough given my gpa, i feel like this may take 3-4 years of volunteering like this. It may be more cost effective to go to the US and if that doesn't work, an accredited European medical school instead and hope to get into US into a Family physician or internal medicine residency. I do not care if I end up In Canada or not. I don't have unrealistic expectations out of this like orthopedic surgery

I think a ~84.97% has a better chance than a 3.75 in Alberta. Remember that people who get into UofC with 3.7s are mature students, 25 and over and that the average age of a first year student is 25.

I am going to be volunteering this year for as many hours as possible (Live with parents, just volunteer for 30-40 hours a week if i can, in addition to sports and other EC) but I feel like that's not enough given my gpa, i feel like this may take 3-4 years of volunteering like this. It may be more cost effective to go to the US and if that doesn't work, an accredited European medical school instead and hope to get into US into a Family physician or internal medicine residency. I do not care if I end up In Canada or not. I don't have unrealistic expectations out of this like orthopedic surgery

That is a good mindset at least, don't stress too much you will be a doctor i'm sure. Believe me there are people with much lower stats than you getting into medicine and becoming physicians. 

Oh okay for sure, I just figured the non-academics are the deciding factor in either case right?  

Do you not already have any volunteer experience? I don't think 3-4 years will be necessary to get an interview at UBC, if you already have been involved. A good way to find out is apply to UBC and see what NAQ score you get as a base-line.

Additionally, you don't need to volunteer 40 hours a week, you can also mix employment and volunteering. Work afternoon/evenings and volunteer during the mornings. 

If Canada doesn't work out after 2 years, then definitely just apply to the US, like i said i'm confident you can get in there. No need to go to europe.

Otherwise good attitude-ish, and good luck!

Oh okay for sure, I just figured the non-academics are the deciding factor in either case right?  

Do you not already have any volunteer experience? I don't think 3-4 years will be necessary to get an interview at UBC, if you already have been involved. A good way to find out is apply to UBC and see what NAQ score you get as a base-line.

Additionally, you don't need to volunteer 40 hours a week, you can also mix employment and volunteering. Work afternoon/evenings and volunteer during the mornings. 

If Canada doesn't work out after 2 years, then definitely just apply to the US, like i said i'm confident you can get in there. No need to go to europe.

Otherwise good attitude-ish, and good luck!

I've mentioned my volunteering and ECs so far in my first post. 

Thank you for your responses!

By the way, do Canadian students compete against other international students for seats in the US or do they compete with the US students? 

I've mentioned my volunteering and ECs so far in my first post. 

Thank you for your responses!

By the way, do Canadian students compete against other international students for seats in the US or do they compete with the US students? 

Depends on the school. At private schools you're treated more or less the same - but generally expected to have higher stats (or so people say). At public schools that accept internationals, you are generally competing with ever other non-american. Some schools in michigan for example though, will only consider international students whom are Canadian.

Varies alot. Generally speaking though, you're going to want to be better than americans.

You are in a great position though, having UBC, UofA and UofC all as IP. You just have to improve your app and you're odds are awesome.

I agree with Gohan, OP. Having those 3 Canadian schools as IP is a steal. I would try to pick up some productive research that may lead to a publication. Easier said than done as a premed yes but you if you are doing ECs full time (as it seems you're not continuing another year of undergrad or doing a Master's, or a PhD), you should do whay you can in this department.

Well I just registered for the mcat for July 18, ill probably take it again in late august. 

I honestly don't see why being IP for 3 universities is much of a advantage when the gpa is so low. and I can't even find anyone with my gpa who actually got accepted to a US medical school in any of the threads here :(

Well I just registered for the mcat for July 18, ill probably take it again in late august. 

I honestly don't see why being IP for 3 universities is much of a advantage when the gpa is so low. and I can't even find anyone with my gpa who actually got accepted to a US medical school in any of the threads here :(

First off, you are you. It does not matter whether you can find someone with your GPA. Because if not, you still apply. If yes, you can't expect invites just because GPA was similar since they were a whole different applicant.

FYI: I know of 2 Canadians with lesser GPAs than you in mid tier US medical schools.

Uh, are you sure you calculated your GPA right for Alberta, using the right table? There's a bunch of tables in the back of the Calgary applicant manual and U of A uses the same one. A+ should count as the top grade....

Also it's definitely not just mature students that get into U of C with lower grades and MCAT. Not at all...

Uh, are you sure you calculated your GPA right for Alberta, using the right table? There's a bunch of tables in the back of the Calgary applicant manual and U of A uses the same one. A+ should count as the top grade....

Also it's definitely not just mature students that get into U of C with lower grades and MCAT. Not at all...

My guess is OP is from SFU, where they give A+ = 4.33 instead of 4.0 like most places.  

A SFU GPA can be a bit misleading if the person has a lot of A+'s skewing the mix.

My guess is OP is from SFU, where they give A+ = 4.33 instead of 4.0 like most places.

A SFU GPA can be a bit misleading if the person has a lot of A+'s skewing the mix.

Right but they were saying their A+ don't get counted as A+s...

http://www.ucalgary.ca/mdprogram/files/mdprogram/applicant-manual-2014-2015-aug-22.pdf

Which unless I'm drastically misunderstanding, means that 4.33 should be counted as 4.0...

Edit: I see what you mean. But OP made it seem like the GPA scale in Alberta disadvantaged him/her, when it definitely does not. The same thing would happen on any scale.

Archived