Premed 101 Forums

Need Some Advise Please

Hi everyone, 

I really need some sincere advise for my application. I am a recent graduate from UofT, 

because of some family issues, my undergrad cGPA is a 2.9 but I managed to do well in my last year - 3.8. 

I am debating whether I should get into a MSc program and do medicine related research to increase my chances of getting into medical school in the U.S or just do another year of undergrad and get a better GPA. On top of that, I have a lot of volunteering, leadership...etc, so the problem here is to show them that I am capable of getting a good grade and maintain it. 

Thanks! 

Hi everyone, 

I really need some sincere advise for my application. I am a recent graduate from UofT, 

because of some family issues, my undergrad cGPA is a 2.9 but I managed to do well in my last year - 3.8. 

I am debating whether I should get into a MSc program and do medicine related research to increase my chances of getting into medical school in the U.S or just do another year of undergrad and get a better GPA. On top of that, I have a lot of volunteering, leadership...etc, so the problem here is to show them that I am capable of getting a good grade and maintain it. 

Thanks! 

Your GPA is too low. If you only did 4 years - take  a 5th year of undergrad and get near 4.0 again. That already opens up 2 ontario schools as options. 

I'd say do the 5th year for GPA improvement, then take the MCAT and do well, and possibly the masters after that.  (Also not sure weather you would even be considered by a masters program with a 2.9.)

Archived