Premed 101 Forums

Kw Campus - Move And Commute?

I personally lived in Hamilton for the first 3 months and enjoyed it. Was quite a pain to find a place to rent and ended up paying more than I would've liked but it was easier to get involved and go to nighttime events.

Do also know a few people who just lived at the regional campuses and commuted in, they made it but the 1 hour commute isn't fun and gas is a decent expense that you can't ignore. 

I personally lived in Hamilton for the first 3 months and enjoyed it. Was quite a pain to find a place to rent and ended up paying more than I would've liked but it was easier to get involved and go to nighttime events.

Do also know a few people who just lived at the regional campuses and commuted in, they made it but the 1 hour commute isn't fun and gas is a decent expense that you can't ignore. 

is there a lot of short term rentals for that sort of thing? 3 months isn't exactly that long of a time.

I found a place in Hamilton and signed a lease for 4 months - definitely a bit more difficult to sign such a short term lease but not impossible! 

It was a bit of a pain having to move within such a short period of time but overall worth it! I would recommend finding a place in Hamilton if possible. I also know people that commuted and they found it ok too :)

Also a waterloo campus student here. It can be anything from 2-4 days depending on your schedule. I'm always a strong supporter of living in Hamilton for the 3 months. You will meet more people and be able to attend more social events. I found a fully furnished room for 4 months and quite enjoyed my experience. 

:( I'm interested in subspecialties and I'm at a regional campus. Is it easy to go on longitudinal/clerkship electives in Hamilton or Toronto?

which sub-specialties? To be honest it may seem like a disadvantage but it really isn't. In fact it is often the other way around.

which sub-specialties? To be honest it may seem like a disadvantage but it really isn't. In fact it is often the other way around.

Neurology; I'd definitely want to check out neurosurgery too although I won't mind if I never get a chance to. 

that is interesting - any idea why?

I'm assuming part administrative ( the hasel of it all) and probably because regionals would then only be filled with waitlist candidates and take much longer to fill.

Plus all it takes is one person to bribe another student to swap campuses and you have a huge problem.

Neurology; I'd definitely want to check out neurosurgery too although I won't mind if I never get a chance 

You realize that if you go into neurosurgery, you're looking at a good 30 years of "are you sure you are old enough to be doing brain surgery? Is there someone more experienced I can see". If you were a woman, I'd say that wouldn't stop until around age 80. :P

Toronto not so much because we dont have privileges there. 

Your treated the same as any other student at Mac. Its pretty easy to set up horizontals in general. There are also local neurologists.

At the end of the day its only a 40 min commute.

exactly my point I guess.

Don't under estimate the power of being in a centre where you are one of the very few interested in a particular field - often the case in the satellite campuses. You get a lot of access - that leads to top rate skills, and great LORs. 

You realize that if you go into neurosurgery, you're looking at a good 30 years of "are you sure you are old enough to be doing brain surgery? Is there someone more experienced I can see". If you were a woman, I'd say that wouldn't stop until around age 80. :P

Haha I can't grow much of a beard so I'd be experiencing this phenomenon extra hard. But yeah this is why I said I wouldn't mind if I never got a chance to experience neurosurgery. It'd be super cool just to watch and then walk away never wanting to touch it again though. 

Haha I can't grow much of a beard so I'd be experiencing this phenomenon extra hard. But yeah this is why I said I wouldn't mind if I never got a chance to experience neurosurgery. It'd be super cool just to watch and then walk away never wanting to touch it again though. 

I can't grow a beard either, but you can grow an attitude! 

I was half joking, every professional gets this a bit, but I am sure neurosurgeons get it really bad. You should still look into it if that's what you really want. 

Me for example, if I were to become a judge tomorrow, I would look into getting a grey streak in my hair a la Stacey London, some fake glasses, and I would frown a lot. Voila! Now I'm qualified!

Oh and btw, CONGRATS!

I was half joking, every professional gets this a bit, but I am sure neurosurgeons get it really bad. You should still look into it if that's what you really want. 

Me for example, if I were to become a judge tomorrow, I would look into getting a grey streak in my hair a la Stacey London, some fake glasses, and I would frown a lot. Voila! Now I'm qualified!

ha :)

When do classes start in Waterloo? We have a basement apartment for rent about a 10 minute walk from the campus and the current tenants are thinking of staying until mid-November or December. Could be nice for a med student!

I believe classes start November 30th. MF1 (happens in Hamilton) ends Nov 27th and looks like MF2 starts just a few days later at the regional campuses. 

We're planning to rent a four bedroom home (as we do now) and will probably be offering the guest bedroom as somewhere for another student to stay for MF1 since it can be hard to find a place for only three months. I'll post details in the 2018 group once we've worked all that out. Have to find a place first, but we've found some promising ones already. :)

Oh and btw, CONGRATS!

Hah attitude, gotcha. thanks!!

Archived