Premed 101 Forums

Too Late For Work Study?

I just finished first year undergrad at UWO, and just got my work study application approved with 200 hours, so if I'm applying now what are the chances that I'll actually get a research position? (considering I don't have any experience)

Not sure if I should wait for that or just move forward with getting some random office/labour job to make money. 

Yeah, I've been sending out emails without any luck so far. I live 2 hours away from UWO, so would it be worth moving back if I get a position? (my apartment is empty right now so I could stay there) 

Also, I have two job interviews on Tuesday, should I try postponing them? Or just go and take the jobs (if offered) and just quit if I get a research position?

Yeah, I've been sending out emails without any luck so far. I live 2 hours away from UWO, so would it be worth moving back if I get a position? (my apartment is empty right now so I could stay there) 

Also, I have two job interviews on Tuesday, should I try postponing them? Or just go and take the jobs (if offered) and just quit if I get a research position?

Don't postpone them. Go to the interviews and see what happens thereafter. Why don't you go to a professor's office hours and express interest in their research and see if they need any help? To be honest, that's a much better way than by emailing them.  

Well I live 2 hours away from London, so I'd have to make a trip down there just to visit their office hours. And the job interviews are for general labour/data entry, which have no value to me besides the money, so I guess I'll just go see how they are. Thanks for the advice!

any job can have value.  I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss them.  Since you have just finished first year, there'll be lots more opportunity to be involved in research in the future. The more years of school you've got, the more attractive you are to labs.

Work study is a great way to get that foot in the door of research.  The is obvious but make sure you mention that you have work study when emailing profs.  Funding is the biggest limitation in the hiring process.  I don't think it's too late. I've seen work study research positions that start in June, July or even as late as August.   

would it be worth moving back if I get a position? (my apartment is empty right now so I could stay there) 

Don't cancel your interviews. You can always decline the job offer if it comes to that.  It's not useful to think about whether you should quit you job to go back to London if you get a research position right now.  As of this moment, you don't have a job to quit from or a research position to take up.  Cross that bridge when you come to it.  

Oh wow, that's so true oshaku! lol I completely overlooked the fact that I don't have either the job or the research position yet, and I've been wasting a lot of time thinking this over. And thanks, that's actually really reassuring that work study positions can start later after May.  

Archived