Premed 101 Forums

post-grad advantage?

Guest jaylily

Guest jaylily

I have a masters degree in a professional program (non-medical) and have been out of school for 2 years now. Would this be an advantage to me at all when applying to med school? Do they tend to favour post-grad applicants?? *crosses fingers*

Guest Spencer

Hey jaylily,

I really think that the answer to your question varies between medical schools, i know for a fact that UWO does not take into consideration any post-graduate degrees. At some med schools however (don't quote me on this one) I believe that they put post-grad applicants into a separate applicant pool, I don't know if that works to your advantage but it could mean that you won't have to compete with the bulk of students coming up from the undergrads...Hope that helps :D

What Spencer said is correct. Some schools don't consider your grad work, some put you in a different pool (Mac, maybe U of T), and some schools, like U of A, give you bonus marks on your application when you apply and have a grad degree.

Guest UTMed07
Some schools don't consider your grad work, some put you in a different pool (Mac, maybe U of T)

I agree with fox and can definitively say (as a former grad applicant) U of T puts grad applicants into a different pool.

At U of T, I have the impression the odds are slightly worse; I asked a few years ago about the numbers (when the total number of applicants to U of T was still less than 1800). At that time there were approximately 450 grad applicants (of all kinds) of which 90 got interviewed and 45 end-up in the class. I imagine the odds at U of T (now) are somewhat worse (because the total number of applicants in Ontario increased).

The difference between the pools (grad vs undergrad) is you get evaluated differently. It is my impression that in the grad pool publications help you a lot (whereas none will hurt a lot -- same isn't so for undergrads). Flip-side is a lower undergrad GPA doesn't hurt you much (whereas if you're an undergrad it can torpedo the application).

I think diversity is a good thing and you can probably contribute a unique perspective to medicine. ;)

Make sure you take a look at Mac. It is a great school and they seem to like people that are a bit different. Also, they don't require any prereqs. Downside is, the odds are among the crappiest in all of Canada (something like ~3800 applicants for ~140 spots).

Good Luck!

Archived