Premed 101 Forums

Western Vs Queen's Pt

Hi everyone,

I am having trouble deciding which program is the right one for me. I was wondering if anyone would be able to let me know the pros and cons of each school, and difference in program structure, learning style etc. Also, if there are any current Western or Queen's students that could tell me how their experience has been, it would be much appreciated. 

Thank you. 

I'm probably just wasting your time because I don't have extensive knowledge of the difference between the two programs. However, I am on the Western waiting list, and it's my only shot at PT! I know you don't know me, but that one spot open could mean an opening for me, so in my opinion, please CHOOSE QUEENS! Haha. Jokes aside, congratulations!! I hope you choose the program that's right for you, heck, maybe I'll see you at Western if I get in! Good luck on your decision friend

Choose queens. :P

Well I am in a similar situation, except I'm in OT (accepted to both western and Queen's). I will be picking western, because they offer you up to $600 for placements if you do it outside of the city, and tuition is a little over $1000 cheaper a year. I am not sure if both of those facts are the same for PT but I'm pretty sure the tuition amount would be the same.

I can't speak for Queen's, but as a current student in Western PT...

Pro:

- small class size (50+), you'll have your own PT family

- amazing student experience

- great profs, I mean, really great and smart profs who actually care about students 

- strong focus on orthopaedics and manual therapy, so great if you want to work in private clinics

- a lot of hands-on experience; really preps you for PNE OSCEs

- refer to website for curriculum schedule; as for learning style, it's a mix of individual + group learning

- affordable living in London 

- total of $1200 funding ($600 max for each placement) for out-of-London placements per student 

- thanks to previous grads, we have our own PT lounge and ping-pong table! 

Con:

- .....our classrooms and labs don't have large windows...? 

• 2 months later...

If you are thinking of Western, please read my post, you will be glad you did in making an informed decision, I would not recommend it. Funnily enough, I too was offered a spot at Queens, I really wish I had gone there and perhaps I would have graduated.

http://forums.premed101.com/index.php?/topic/86122-a-cautionary-tale-for-students-thinking-of-going-to-western-mpt/

Archived