Premed 101 Forums

What Do I Have To Do?

Hello there!

I just finished my first year at Laurentian with a 78% so something like a 3.3 GPA I believe. I've just come to the realization that I want to go to med school and I can't see myself doing anything else. I live in Sudbury and I know if I put my mind to it I can bring my GPA up to a 3.7 at least. I'm planning on volunteering at the hospital once a week for the following 2 school years and also shadowing a doctor and maybe looking to do some research.

Is there anything else I should be doing to make my chances any better?

I would suggest getting involved in things that you truly enjoy. Hobbies, sports, organizations that really speak to you, etc. If you find it interesting, do it! Volunteering at a hospital, shadowing a doctor and doing research is great, but are they things that will set you apart from the average applicant? Are they things that you can use to explain who you are as a person and why you would make an amazing doctor in an interview? What about 3 years of undergraduate competitive swimming, which shows dedication, hard work, passion for what you do, and a competitive nature? What about 2 years as a youth tutor, which shows a love of education, leadership, empathy, compassion, and the ability to work closely with children and other individuals? 

Don't pad your resume with things you think a medical student should have. Do things that you are passionate about and your good qualities will naturally shine through.

Other than that, try to get your GPA as high as possible. A 3.7 is okay, but it's not very competitive. You have 3 years left so there's more than enough time to boost it. How long have you lived in Sudbury? If you've lived there for awhile, you're in a good position for NOSM and I'd recommend you get involved in your community. Western and Queens have weighted GPA scores which look at last two years, so work your ass off last two years and your first year GPA of 3.3 won't be an obstacle.

Also start thinking about when you want to write the MCAT, or if you want to write it at all. Good luck!

Thanks a lot! I played competitive hockey and soccer this past year and have been since I'm 16, I might just play recreational from now on though, I'm also looking at volunteering for the SPCA, plus I ref soccer every summer for kids 10 to 18, I'll for sure think of other things that would interest me and I will no doubt work my butt off for my GPA. Also I've lived in Hanmer, so 30 minutes north of Sudbury my whole life! I'd love to stay here too so that's why I will most likely not take the MCAT because NOSM is really the only place I really want to go,

Again, thank you so much! :)

I am a current first year student at NOSM (longtime lurker) I am going to echo what Cheesecake said.  A GPA boost would certainly be helpful in admission to NOSM but a holistic approach is used. The biggest thing to keep in mind when selecting activities is do what you are interested in, try to avoid doing activities simply for med school applications (of course if you are interested in those activities go for it). There are two key reasons for ensuring you partake in activities that you are interested in first the interest and passion will come across in interviews and second it could help in receiving positive LORs.  Other suggestions would be community based volunteerism, physicians ultimately serve the community, by having experience in that area it can help demonstrate your interest in fulfilling that role. Cheesecake had a a lot of other great ideas 

As for the MCAT, NOSM is a great school and I am incredibly fortunate to have the opportunity to attend NOSM but it is not the only medical school, when it comes down to it all of them award the same degree. By taking a stab at the dreaded MCAT you are opening up more opportunities to get in. With that said I do understand the MCAT is a large financial undertaking especially for someone from the North (testing facilities are only in the South which is a major reason why NOSM doesn't require it) so make sure you are using the time that would have been dedicated to studying for completing volunteer work, employment, or school work to better your chances of getting in. There are a number of my classmates that only applied to NOSM and were ultimately successful!

Welcome BIM18. Thanks for joining and posting! 

Beef

I am a current first year student at NOSM (longtime lurker) I am going to echo what Cheesecake said.  A GPA boost would certainly be helpful in admission to NOSM but a holistic approach is used. The biggest thing to keep in mind when selecting activities is do what you are interested in, try to avoid doing activities simply for med school applications (of course if you are interested in those activities go for it). There are two key reasons for ensuring you partake in activities that you are interested in first the interest and passion will come across in interviews and second it could help in receiving positive LORs.  Other suggestions would be community based volunteerism, physicians ultimately serve the community, by having experience in that area it can help demonstrate your interest in fulfilling that role. Cheesecake had a a lot of other great ideas 

As for the MCAT, NOSM is a great school and I am incredibly fortunate to have the opportunity to attend NOSM but it is not the only medical school, when it comes down to it all of them award the same degree. By taking a stab at the dreaded MCAT you are opening up more opportunities to get in. With that said I do understand the MCAT is a large financial undertaking especially for someone from the North (testing facilities are only in the South which is a major reason why NOSM doesn't require it) so make sure you are using the time that would have been dedicated to studying for completing volunteer work, employment, or school work to better your chances of getting in. There are a number of my classmates that only applied to NOSM and were ultimately successful!

Archived