Premed 101 Forums

The right Plan B?

Guest Gem2005

Guest Gem2005

Hey guys, I hope some of you can give a friend of mine some advice because he keeps getting mixed reasoning about this.

I just want to know what some of you think about going for Dentistry as a plan B after having done a first bachelor of sciences. If so, would it ruin any chances to get admitted to Med school, if one changes his mind one day?

I am asking for a friend of mine who had his heart set on med but, now is close to get in to dent, and wants to know if its a good idea, even though he might try to go for med in the following years. Some say that because it is a professional program it is not well seen by the admission, but I personnaly dont know about this so I cant help him.

Guest macMDstudent

There is no way one can say how each of the admission committess at all the schools in Canada would react to a dentist's application. I can say that we do have a dentist in my class at McMaster, so it is not impossible.

My only question is why take the long route if meds is what this person really wants? It is an awful lot of school to do undergrad, followed by dentistry 4 years, meds 3 or 4 years and then residency 2-7 years! I would tell that person to start applying to medicine as soon as they meet the minimum requirements and keep applying every year, no matter what else they may be doing!

Guest jaylily

Med students using dentistry as a plan B pisses off the Dentistry student hopefulls. Just for the simple fact that should they get in, they don't want to be there 100% and they take away a spot from someone who has dentistry as their #1 choice.

I say hold off for the med school. No sense doing something that your whole heart isn't into.

Guest bcdentalgirl

I have an opinion about "plan B's": screw 'em! I mean it.

It is not easy to get into dental school, so clearly your friend worked for it. Why not shift that effort into getting into meds? Why waste four years of hard core studying that could be better spent applying over and over to every school that would take his/her application? Your friend could try working in a field that would add some punch to their application (like research), do some meaningful community service and actually have some fun (travel?). All of these things would contribute better to making a great MD that a dentistry degree.

Life is too short. Go for what you really want.

Guest Gem2005

Hey guys,

Thanks for all the advice, my friend read the post and after much thought, and advice from other dentists and MD's decided to hold off for Med!

Thanks a lot again

Archived