Premed 101 Forums

NSERC PGS A

Guest blinknoodle

Guest blinknoodle

Hi guys,

I know this isn't really related to pre-med stuff, but I figured some of you may have had experience with graduate awards. I'm currently going into 4th year, and I'm going to apply for an NSERC PGS A. I need two references, and they strongly recommend including your thesis supervisor (if not, you must explain why you didn't choose them).

Since I have barely begun my honours thesis, and my application will be due in early October, I think my honours thesis supervisor won't be able to judge me as well as some of my other potential references. Does anyone know if it looks bad that I am not choosing to use my supervisor? Or should I choose them nonetheless (I'm sure they'll have nice things to say...)

Anyways, thanks for your advice.

Cheers,

blinknoodle

I had a PGS A, but I applied while I was in my first year of grad school and I did use my honours thesis supervisor, but I didn't use my grad supervisor since she had only known me for a few months. Maybe you should talk to you thesis supervisor and see what they have to say. It will make your choice easier if they say they'll write you a really good letter, or they may tell you they don't think at this point that it's fair to write you a letter since they don't know you very well. If this is the case, just make note of that in your application. Good luck.

Guest UTMed07

I had a NSERC PGS A and applied in the last year of undergrad. I used my bachelor's supervisor despite the fact that I didn't know him well and it doesn't seem to have made any difference. In the end I think it is pretty much marks.

The reality is that profs generally don't know their undergrad students too well--and the NSERC committees know this. I'd ask your supervisor whether he feels comfortable writing a reference for you--if you supply him with a resume and a short list of things you feel are important accomplishments (for the purposes of the application).

Archived