Premed 101 Forums

Question About New Mcat

thehead321

I have all the EK/TBR/TPR books from last year, finished all the past AAMC exams... but pretty much I have to write the 2015 mcat now since I didn't have time to study for a rewrite in january..... 1) do I have to buy new prep books for the new stuff they're adding? can anyone give me any recommendations? 

2) Also, how many months do you have to wait before you can rewrite for the new 2015 mcat?  Ithink it was 3 months before, not sure... I was planning on writing in early June once, voiding, then rewriting a final time in early September since there are not many practice exams on aamc for the new mcat

3) Lastly, does anyone know if a first year psychology textbook (~1200 pages) is worth reading through, JUST for the mcat (it will be my first time reading it since I haven't taken the psych course)

Thank you!

Oh hey, from what I hear, reading through an entire psych text book seems to be over kill (even if you haven't done psych before). That is, unless your MCAT date is years and years (not literally; although literally = works too in this case) away. I don't know, this is what I hear, but it'd be good to get even more input.  :rolleyes:

Nobody has to buy prep books, but they can be useful. The new material is just the biochemistry, psychology and sociology. I think they sell the psych book separately, which you may find useful. Though honestly I don't even know how good prep books are since the MCAT is new even for the people writing the prep books. You can get a good idea of what will be tested for biochem in the AAMC practice questions. Psych for me was the worst. I've had no courses in psych or soc and studied off the prep material only. Unfortunately, I didn't find the practice material fully reflective of what gets tested on the MCAT.

I am not aware of any wait time between MCATs. The only restriction I know of its you can write it up to 3 times a year.

Archived