Premed 101 Forums

Med-Novels

Guest Ibraheem

Guest UWOMED2005

House of God, by Samuel Shem. But it has been often said that nobody should read that one until halfway through clerkship. . . or we wouldn't have any doctors.

It's pretty good, though.

Guest therealcrackers

Other ones can be found by the likes of Michael Crichton, Robin Cook (medical thrillers), Kathy Reichs (forensics), even "The Cunning Man" by Robertson Davies deals with medicine to some degree (plus bonus points for Canadian content).

Guest UWOMED2005

House of God is a novel and would work for English class. . .

But why not choose something non-medicine!?!? There are so many great non-medicine related novels out there: Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad, One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez, Life of Pi by Yan Martel, The Great Gatsby by F Scott Fitzgerald, On the Road by Jack Kerouac, One flew over the cuckoo's nest by Ken Kesey (oh wait - that one is medical!!). . . that's just a short-list.

I really don't recommend Heart of Darkness! I had to read it for an English class and I did not enjoy it all. A little too dark and descriptive for me. :D I recently read a great book called The Spirit Catches You and You Fall Down by Anne Fadiman about a Hmong girl with epilepsy and about the clash between her parent's cultural beliefs and the beliefs of her western doctors. Great book!

Guest UWOMED2005

I have to admit I'm all over "Heart of Darkness" for the premed. In Kurz we see the most educated and civilized person in Europe, who undergoes moral decay when confronted and the raw savagery of life without dressings of civilization. I think in Marlowe we see someone who confronts this darkness that is at all of our cores, this potentiality for evil, and overcomes it through acknowledgement.

Quite relevant I think to medical school. . . especially when you look at such horror stories as Dr. Harold Shipman in England or Dr. Michael Swango. Or, on a less horrific but much more common and relatable level, physicians who forget their patients are real people in distress and begin to see them as billing codes. . . resulting some times in "misadventure."

It is a difficult read though - Joseph Konrad (nee Konrad Korzeniowski) was actually Polish and didn't learn English until he was in his 20s. His books tend to be dense reads, but usually pretty short and sweet.

Oh, and btw, this is the book "Apocalypse now" was based on.

Archived