Premed 101 Forums

Application Submission Timing

Hi guys, I need some help in timing my application submission, hopefully those who have gone through the process could provide some insight.

I will be out of the country from June 15 - July 16 this year. My AMCAS application will be ready to submit by June 2nd, but I've read that schools send out the secondary applications very soon after verification, and sending them back within two weeks is the best way of showing clear interest in their program. Assuming that the verification goes smoothly, this means secondaries will start to come to me around the third week of June from what I understand. I'm unlikely to have a chance to complete secondaries until I get back, so I'm wondering:

- Should I delay submitting my primary until mid June (or an another appropriate time), so I'm able to get to the secondaries as soon as they come, or would I be better off submitting ASAP to get my application verified immediately?

- What is a reasonable deadline to ask for reference letters, given that I won't be submitting any secondaries until ~July 20th? Could I give a mid-July deadline and be safe? I haven't asked for any references yet, and my referees generally like to have a lot of lead time on this type of thing, so I'd like to accomodate as much as possible.

Thanks for any help you can provide!

If you submit your primary on June 2nd you should be verified within a couple of weeks, but AMCAS won't actually send your application to schools until July 1st, so you should expect to receive your secondaries around that time and not when your application is verified in mid-June.

Hi guys, I need some help in timing my application submission, hopefully those who have gone through the process could provide some insight.

I will be out of the country from June 15 - July 16 this year. My AMCAS application will be ready to submit by June 2nd, but I've read that schools send out the secondary applications very soon after verification, and sending them back within two weeks is the best way of showing clear interest in their program. Assuming that the verification goes smoothly, this means secondaries will start to come to me around the third week of June from what I understand. I'm unlikely to have a chance to complete secondaries until I get back, so I'm wondering:

- Should I delay submitting my primary until mid June (or an another appropriate time), so I'm able to get to the secondaries as soon as they come, or would I be better off submitting ASAP to get my application verified immediately?

- What is a reasonable deadline to ask for reference letters, given that I won't be submitting any secondaries until ~July 20th? Could I give a mid-July deadline and be safe? I haven't asked for any references yet, and my referees generally like to have a lot of lead time on this type of thing, so I'd like to accomodate as much as possible.

Thanks for any help you can provide!

Please correct me if I'm wrong, because I didn't do this when I applied AMCAS last cycle, but I think you can do many ways to solve your problems:

1. Apply only schools which pre-screen applications (like Wayne State) first when you submitting AMCAS application on June 2nd, get your transcripts verified asap, you always can add more schools into your AMCAS application account later in July.

This way, you submitted AMCAS application on June 2nd, probably transcripts verified 2 weeks later on June 15th or so, 3 weeks pre-screen, so July 6th you will get 2nd application invitation from Wayne State. Add other schools into your account later in July, normally get 2nd application invitation within 48 hours.

2. You can't control when your references send in their LoRs, but you can assign which LoR go to which schools without notice them, you also can add or delete LoR after submitting applications.

For example, you have 9 reference, you add 10th dummy reference and assign this dummy to ALL your schools, once your 2nd application for this school is completed and all reference arrived and you're sure you want this school to review your application, just delete this dummy reference from this school then your 2nd application will be completed in 24 hours or so for this school.

let's say later in July you have one reference letter didn't arrive or you want to replace it with another one, since your dummy is there you still have time to add, delete or modify your LoRs.

Once your 2nd application is completed for a school to review, you can't change LoRs for that school already received, but you actually still can add LoR to that school, I 100% sure about this, because one school in October ask me send in another LoR through AMCAS because one of my science professor is not from my department, they need two professors from my department.

Archived