Premed 101 Forums

Any advice/suggestions

Guest Skywyy

Hi everyone. I'm starting my pre-med this year and I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice or suggestions that would help me get into med school. I haven't even started yet and already I'm stressing out about classes and when I should start studying for the MCAT and everything else that involves pre-med and med school. Thanks. :\

One thing to keep in mind is not to focus strictly on school. It is important to have a life outside of school, as well. Med schools look for applicants with a somewhat diverse background. As for the MCAT, I think a lot of people write it in the summer following second year as you probably will have finished all your pre-reqs by then. To make sure you're taking the right courses, you can check the various med school's websites to find out which pre-reqs are required by what schools. If you're taking a science degree probably most of the required pre-reqs will be a requirement for you to complete your undergrad, anyway. However, at I wasn't required to take english for my undergrad and then when I applied to med school during grad school I was forced to take it. Hope this helps. Don't stress about it too much, university is a great experience and you won't be able to apply for a couple of years anyway.

Personally, (and this is what I did in my first two or so years of undergrad) I think the best thing in your first year of undergrad is to completely ignore the idea of applying to medical school at all! The only thing you need to make sure you do is take a full courseload, and get good grades. Otherwise have fun, get involved, and see what you enjoy! There may be other careers that are ideal for you (or there might not be), but you won't find out if you're so focussed on medical school that you don't learn about and enjoy what's out there. Good luck and have fun :)

Guest DrSahsi

Take plenty of time to make sure that medicine is what you truly want to do with your life. Make sure you know what it is you're potentially getting in to before you barrel headlong towards that goal. Explore other options, try to keep your life well rounded and balanced, and enjoy your university experience.

That's my highlight reel for tonight. ;)

[-RSS]

Archived