Premed 101 Forums

Not Sure To Apply To American Schools With Mcat Retake

Hello, 

I'm considering applying to US MD programs, however I'm unsure with my stats and the timing of my MCAT.

Undergrad GPA is low - 3.4 with upward trend, finished an MSc a year ago - 3.7

Extra-curriculars - uni orientation leadership, intramural soccer, tutoring math for high school and elementary kids, tutoring bio in undergrad, overseas volunteering (non leadership), hospital volunteering, very little shadowing, however.

Research exp: 3+ clinical years, one pub (not 1st or 2nd author), another in the works, 1 conference presentation, international research experience

I took the new MCAT in April and just got my poor scores :(  501 - CARS is what killed me but considering I had no previous psych/sociology experience whatsoever (other than the TPR book - which sucked), I think there's room to improve.

That said, I'm hoping to retake either July or August - depending on whether I should apply to schools in the US or not. I could realistically finish submitting the primary before July, but if I retake my MCAT in July - then it pushes back my app considerably from what I've read so far. If I retake in August - then they'd get my scores in Sept, which is probably too late in the cycle with my stats.

I'd probably have a better chance doing DO, I guess. Any input would be highly appreciated!

I wouldn't apply this year, take your time to really improve your MCAT score and apply when you have a strong app. Your GPA already is a hit against you, so no point rushing.

Based on my reading a 500 is comparable to a 25 on the old exam?

Definitely dont apply this year to MD. If you score much better, then maybe a late app to DO, but even then dont rush

Archived