Premed 101 Forums

Good mcat scores

Guest coolguy3650

Guest coolguy3650

How much do good mcat scores make up for a below average gpa? My gpa will probably end up being around 3.7, while my mcat marks were 13V, 13P, 12B and Q on the writing sample. My undergrad degree (Pharmacology) is not an easy program, in my opinion, and I was wondering if med schools will see the MCAT as a more objective indicator of my academic ability. Of course, they could also see my mcat marks as a fluke. Can any one help me on this one? Thanks.

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

Your GPA isn't shabby at all (and probably not average for some schools), and with respect to your MCAT question, it really depends on the school since most of them consider the MCAT differently in their processes. If you're looking at UofT, the degree of MCAT accomplishment really doesn't matter as long as you have hurdled their MCAT cut-offs (and even then, there appears to be some flexibility); however, if the University of Manitoba is at the top of your med school wish list, then the a good set of MCAT scores will bode you well.

If you're worried about it enough to post it here, then what you might want to do is make a chart of all the schools to which you want to apply and systematically contact each to better gauge your chances and alleviate your anguish.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Your GPA is good enough for UWO...and so are your MCAT scores! So, if you apply to UWO, I would guess that you will likely receive an interview (assuming that nothing too strange happens with cut-offs).

However, once you meet the cuts, your MCAT really won't help you too much....it will be considered with equal weighting to your GPA at UWO, and at some other schools, is not considered at all after you meet the cuts. But, a good set of scores can never hurt you!

Good luck!

Archived