Premed 101 Forums

Med Admissions Board Feedback?

Guest tweep0

Hi everyone,

I just wanted to know which schools (if any) give feedback as to why one was not accepted into a their school. I am concerned because I am not sure if one of my reference letter is great :\ . Therefore, is there any way for me to find out from the addmisions board if I dont get in and that was the reason? At which schools? Thanks

Tweep :)

Guest Lactic Folly

Sounds like that is causing a lot of anxiety this early in the application cycle, but try not to let it get you down too much. What kind of vibes did you get from this referee, and could you have a frank talk with them?

Guest jackiedirks

Manitoba is pretty good about this- you can make an appointment and have your application gone over in detail. I'm not sure if they give you your exact spot on the list, but they do give you a pretty good idea what to work on.

HI again,

I worked in his lab in the summer and he is a HUGE(ie well known) scientist in Canada. However, since he is a clinician scientist, he rarely came into the lab, except for occasional personal meetings. I asked him for a letter ( i did mention "strong letter", but i dont think he noticed that i said "strong") and he said okay. Actually, i originally asked a post-doc in the lab but he told me to as my supervisor for one. He seems like a nice guy, but some people in my lab tell me that he is a little cocky.

Therefore, I have no idea what he might say. If he says very general things is that okay? What about feedback for Ontario schools? Thanks for all you input. (i'm almost in panic mode) :\

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

UofT's relatively new policy is that they no longer provide application feedback to unsuccessful applicants. As to the other Ontario schools, I'm not sure if they provide critiques in the rejection aftermath.

Hopefully your letter won't lead you in that direction this year. :)

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there Elliott,

I have not heard why the Admissions Office has adopted this policy, although I did hear it from two folks within Admissions. It would be interesting to hear why they decided not to give any feedback though.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Hi All,

One way to make sure your references are giving you a good reference is to ask them for a copy of the letter when they write it (ask them at the same time you ask for their reference). I know it feels kind of wierd, but if they are really 'on your side' it will be positive...

It is also really good to have on hand if you need to apply again or apply to something else. You can give the letter back to them so they can remember what they said last time. There was one lady I talked to who had a very strong letter from a professor of hers who had passed away - she could keep using the reference in certain circumstances because of that letter.

Megs

UWO does not use ref letters except in extreme circumstances...they also will not provide feedback as far as I know...but it is pretty easy to figure out where you went wrong at UWO:

If no interview = GPA and/or MCAT

If interviewed = interview more than likely

Archived