Premed 101 Forums

pre-requisites counted in GPA

Guest purine5

Guest purine5

Hi!

a first yr life sci student is Looking for advice.

1) I was wondering if all those pre-requisite courses should be counted in GPA.

What if I take those prerequisites

in summer school/correspondence/etc? Are they fulfilling admission requirement?

2) How about repeating courses?

thanx ~ :)

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

It all depends on the school to which you apply. Some schools will look for very specific pre-requisite courses, whereas others will not. Some schools look at summer courses differently than courses taken during the "regular" academic year of September to April. Ideally, if you can take most of your courses between September and April (including any potential pre-requisites such as organic chemistry, physics, etc.) and maintain a 5.0 courseload then you'll run into fewer complications. Again, however, you do not have to follow this prescription to get into a Canadian medical school. You just have to be more specific if you'd like a more specific answer.

Cheers,

Kirsteen;)

UWO does not care when you complete the pre-reqs (summer, distance, etc) as long as they are complete and you passed them. They are not specifically used in your GPA unless they are part of one of your two best full-time years. UWO does not calculate a 'pre-req' average.

I don't think that any of the Ontario schools distinguish the prerequisites from other courses in terms of GPA calculations. I think that they'll all count repeated courses twice (like, your first grade will count, and your second) but I'm not certain. Repeating courses is generally something to avoid, I think! :)

UWO will not count repeated courses as part of your GPA - nor will they count any year in which you repeated a course as full time. So, consider carefully before you repeat anything!

In order for a year with a repeat course to count in your GPA calculation you must take a full 5.0 course load of NEW (ie not repeated) courses in addition to the repeated course....(eg 5.0 courses + 0.5 repeated course = full time but 5.0 courses INCLUDING a 0.5 repeated courses does not count as full time)

Archived