Premed 101 Forums

Mcmaster's Curriculum

It's strange how Mac is so transparent with everything about their school except for the schooling itself. I barely have a clue about what I'm in for, but from what I understand each week we have two tutorials (PBL sessions), 2 lectures, anatomy lab (I don't think this one's every week) and clinical skills sessions. The horizontal electives aren't mandatory, if you feel like it you can get set up with a doctor in whatever specialty you want and you kinda follow them around for a few hours a week or whatever you negotiate with the doc. I'm sure you can see patients by yourself depending on the doctor and if you're capable. It's basically an informal shadowing/clinical opportunity so you can get exposure and explore different specialties, there aren't really too many assessments other than a basic checklist. 

http://www.smgh.ca/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/McMaster-Preceptor-Guide-How-to-Get-Involved.pdf 

This was the only document I could find on the subject, I'm sure the same guidelines apply to the Hamilton campus. 

What a great document, thanks!

Archived